Winston Nexxus, Orvis Recon

S

Sylvaneous

Test casted the 9 ft 5 wt version of these rods on April 3. If you are astounded and perplexed by rods in the $700 + category, take heart. The Nexxus is a REAL Winston. Great cork, beautiful finish and made in Estdos Unidos. Even though the specs list the weight as a little high, comparatively, there is nothing not to like about this rod. It balances nicely with a reel. It makes the case, mends and maneuvers you do with a rod on a trout stream. It loads nicely close in and has no problem picking up line and laying out a 50 foot cast without balking.
The Orvis Recon is lighter and faster. It does not load as easily at trout distances but to do so doesn't really require much work. Compared to the Nexxus, it seems to have a lighter tip but flexes most in the top 1/4 where, side by side, the Winston flexes in the top 1/3. So right there is the "loads easily at trout distances" explained. I like both of these more than the Sage and Scott offerings in this range. Comparatively, I would take the Nexxus for trout and the Recon for bass or big water, 6 weight trout. And dont spend a fortune to get an expensive super light reel. It just makes you rod feel tip heavy and tires your hand faster.
My advice? If you fish anything like conventional trout waters, buy either one with confidence and be happy.

Nice review.

Which one for loch style fishing?

Back