Winged wet flies

eunanhendron

eunanhendron

At the Jam on saturday, someone (cant remember who) suggested i post a few wet flies.

So heres a small selection of some that i've tied.

Trout Fin Set
2012-03-10_08-35-58_187.jpg

Liberty%2520Wet%2520Fly.jpg

Thunder size 10 and 12
ORIG0022.JPG

Captain
2012-03-03_11-00-04_549.jpg

Parmachenee Belle
upload_1000001217C1B3_2012.03.13%252C02%253A03%253A01%252C27_5FD7BED0.jpg

Page
2012-03-03_11-05-50_122.jpg

Admiral
2012-03-25_14-38-03_449.jpg

Babcock
Babcock.jpg

Abbey
Abbey.jpg

It was me. I really like them and I thought Shakey would enjoy seeing them.

Love the Liberty.

how did you get the guinea quill wings to stay together? They always fall apart on me. I can do duck, goose, goose shoulder, turkey, married wings, but not guinea.

Just cut them from the wing quills and tied them in. No special techniques.
Are you using guinea wing or the fibers from the body feathers??

wing quills, bought them at a craft store...you know of a good source for better quality ones?

The Guinea in the floors above are craft store quills. Feathersmc.com our aofeathers.com may have some. Otherwise you'll need to but a skin. Also check greatfeathers.com and cookshill fly tying in UK.

Inspiring! Love it.

Those are absolutely beautiful . My grandfather fished wets almost exclusive and he would fish a "brace" an end fly and two droppers , THOSE R GREAT.

If you have any that look like baby browns I'll take a 1/2 dozen, brook trout love brown trout flies.

Would this fit the 'baby brown' category??

Its called Dolly Varden
2012-02-21_23-16-31_603.jpg

SBecker wrote:
It was me. I really like them and I thought Shakey would enjoy seeing them.

thanks for thinking of me shane.please note however,that i tye my wets(certainly not as nicely) with the wings curved toward each other to form one flat wing.more of a catskill and british style.
andy brasko of new jersey,mike valla and joe fox of the catskills would be good examples of the style.as well as davey mcphail and david camiss british flies.

these lovely tyes are done in a more of a don bastian style,with the wings splayed,which is very nice,but not what i strive for.

lovely tyes though that i'm sure would catch fish.

osprey wrote:
Those are absolutely beautiful . My grandfather fished wets almost exclusive and he would fish a "brace" an end fly and two droppers , THOSE R GREAT.

i sometimes fish a brace of brace,on about a brace of tippet!

(nobody's gonna get that,haha)

Do you tie them with goose or duck?

I like them with the matte side out, which with duck gives the splayed wing, with goose shoulder, matte side out gives the flat wing.
I'm sure you know this.

Davie McPhail just did a nice video of a trout fin variant with goose wings..its a beauty

i tye with all eathers i get my hands on.

i usually tye larger flies with goose,smaller with duck.i came across tons of old herter's quills.

but i also use turkey,guinea,or any quill.

i really like some old catskill cheats,wherein they would simply old a slip of turkey and clip it with shears in the back.a version of a cow dung looks great that way.you can tye them in a minute,haha

lots of pics of that kind of stuff over at sparse gray matter.

I'd like to have a few of these to put on my bench,much less fish with them...too pretty

i am in the process of reconsidering my take on wings.

i think this spring i will use some downwing or splayed wing flies and see if they out-fish my upwings!

Back