Willow Run, Juniata County

gweisinger

gweisinger

In what it seems like my never ending quest to find new native brook trout streams, I drove to Willow Run near Honey Grove in Juniata County.

The stream is listed by the Fish Commission as a Class A Trout Stream so I thought I might have a shot at finding some brookies. Most maps show Willow Run Road following the stream for most of its length. What I found however was, after driving a short distance on Willow Run Road, was a Game Commission gate.

So, I fished about a half mile or so up stream from the area of the gate. All I caught was a bunch of creek chubs. The stream fished more like a warm water stream than a trout stream. The water was much warmer than I would have expected, even with the unusually warm weather.

Just curious if I just hit it on a bad day or is it just void of trout. Would it be beneficial to hike a couple miles up the road to find better trout water?

Would be interested in hearing from anyone with personal information on this stream before I try it again.

Thanks

Gary

Willow has wild browns. It is spring fed which is why it is warmer. Are the multiflora roses still so bad along the bank?

Oh yes, the briars (multiflora rose) are difficult. Had to walk in the middle of the stream on some occasions just to get from one pool to another. A friend and I will have to use bikes and travel in a ways. Maybe I'll hit a few of the browns you refer to. Thanks

The class A list also lists species info. If it says Class A for browns, there could still be brookies but in lower numbers than the browns. I do not know the stream

Lots of places to find brookies around. Willow Run is a brownie stream. There are some brookie places in Juniata County, however, and Perry County for that matter.

Pretty much aware of most of the brookie haunts in Perry and Juniata but there are some on my list that I just haven't gotten to. I gave Willow another shot and found a brown trout, along with a bunch of junk fish. Thanks for the info.

Back