Williamsport trout fishing

Steelhead_JESUS

Steelhead_JESUS

not sure if anyone on here is from around williamsport area but I go to college right outside of Pittsburgh and wanted to do some trout fishing on class a streams around the williamsport area. Anyone have any suggestions on what to be throwing if I make the trip- I did some research on the state site and found some small creeks that I am going to try but wasn't sure overall how the fishing is up that way.

Lots of good fishing around williamsport, but coming from pittsburgh you are driving past the best the state has to offer in the little j, spring creek, bald eagle creek, fishing creek etc

Yes, to your questions. Very good fishing in Williamsport area. Big three with 10 to 30 minutes from Williamsport are, Lycoming Creek, Loyalsock Creek, Big Pine Creek. Larger streams providing excellent fly fishing.

Now, on the larger streams fly patterns will vary from, midges, small and medium nymphs, wets and streamers. To put an exact fly, well it is better to be there. There are also many more.

What came to mind, to me, right away are 2 that are absolute breathtaking. First of 2, better known stream--------Rock Run. Second, an almost forgotten, Roaring Branch.

Rock Run, located in Ralston Pa. and Roaring Branch located a few miles north of Ralston.

Rock Run, is what memories are made of. Deep clear pools, waterfalls, ice cold water. Fish it and you will always remember it. I do think it may be possible to set up a tent. Check to see if this still applies. Take a friend. 2 cars is better than the walk back. Can be fished in three days from Yellow Dog Trail to mouth which dumps in the Lycoming. Different from any other stream.

Roaring Branch has some similar looks as to Rock Run but different in many ways. Roaring branch, no camping, fishing is allowed, walk in only. Posted and stocked by local clubs only. Since not much pressure, it is possible for some real beauties.

No real fuss on flies, dry flies 10, 12, 14 are perfect. Adams, Coachman, yellow body, green body, all colors are good. Trout need to feed up and are not picky. I generally start where a bridge crosses the stream and a horse farm is. I guess 5 miles up the branch road. Again, can be fished in 3 days. nice to have 2 cars.

As always, pack a nice lunch, keep area clean, take a camera and have fun! You will want pictures. Remember be polite to landowners and obey Pa. fishing laws.

Hope this helped. Since you are a young man, i will bet you want to fish "The Whole Stream". I know, i did. Over and over, Since i am a lot older now, larger streams are easier.

I will be truthful. I would rater fish these 2, catch nothing, than fish Spring in Bellefonte. anybody and everyone fishes Spring. You get a good feeling of accomplishment fishing the Ralston Pa. 2 goodies.

Maxima12

I live within easy walking distance from Spring Creek.

But I enjoy fishing the "mountain streams" more.

Williamsport is The Gateway to the Mountain Streams.

I made that up! :)

Get a rustic cabin @ Little Pine State Park.

Plenty good fishin' thereabouts...

I'm confused...you are in Pittsburgh but want to fish in Williamsport? Reason? Like was mentioned before you are passing by the states best trout fishing by doing that.

I have a wrestling tournament at lycoming on a weekend. Our coach is pretty cool and is into fishing and hunting too so he is pretty lenient on letting me go on trips. I was going to try to go out on the Sunday after with my dad to fish

thank you for the info.. i am going to look it up.

Maxi,

I first fished Rock Run in the Spring of '77. At that time I was studying Electrical Tech at WACC. So it was keg party Wed night, Thurs dinner at McGradeys Irish Inn after the gym, rockin' at Max's on the south side Friday night, and fishin' Sat & Sun.

A guy could spend his whole life in Lycoming County and never run out of great places to fish.

I first heard Warren Zevon's "Werewolfs of London" on a Saturday trip to English Center. There was a beer joint with, apparently, a "smoking section" that faced the creek. Many's the time I detected the "El Supremeo" from the porch at the back of the bar... to paraphrase Steely Dan...

Those were the days...

Rock Run is very scenic, with waterfalls and rock chutes. And it's on public land.

Also, near there is "Band Rock", a very scenic viewpoint over the Lycoming Creek valley.

Shorty, no doubt in English Center you were at the "Shot in the Dark".

Good friend and owner Fred, is now passed. Chip and Judy McGrady gone. I have some good stories about those places. Can never believe they let me get away with some of my antics.

McGrady's--- I caught a tame duck, took it into McGrady's, sat in on the bar and we bought the bird drinks. Bird did not seem thirsty, We shoved his head in the glass of beer and he got the idea quick.

Ended up selling him there for 20 dollars. Went the next day, to the fellows house that bought the duck. His brother answered the door. As i looked inside the buyer had the duck on his kitchen table, drinking beer with it.

I said, i am here to return the 20 dollars. His brother said-----Keep it-------, he loves that duck. True story

Yes a man can get lost fast in Lycoming County. i have kind of been lost here all my life but always come home for a nice nap, a sweet dream and ready to "Get Lost", again.

Funny too. My first time in English Center, i was turned on to-----Family Affair-----Sly and the Family Stone. I remember every part of that trip, till this day. That song had just been released. Wow what a short, long time it has been.

Yeah, a short, long time, in the mind of a fisherman!

Maxima12

Back