Will fish bite after being hooked multiple times?

TheBluegillMaster

TheBluegillMaster

I found a (what seems to be) a pretty nice sized bass/catfish in a local lake. I hooked him yesterday but sadly, he snapped the line. I returned to the same spot today and I hooked him again, but of course he popped off. I’m guessing he’s 4+lbs, I changed my tippet out to 8lb line so it doesn’t snap again. would a fish like that ever bite again?

I found a (what seems to be) a pretty nice sized bass/catfish in a local lake. I hooked him yesterday but sadly, he snapped the line. I returned to the same spot today and I hooked him again, but of course he popped off. I’m guessing he’s 4+lbs, I changed my tippet out to 8lb line so it doesn’t snap again. would a fish like that ever bite again?
Yes wait some time and come back with 12lb test if in open water or 20 of near heavy cover

Essentially you are either asking one of two questions. The goal in fishing is to imitate bait they feed on in order to fool them into eating and thus catching them.

So you are either asking:

Is it possible to fool this fish again into biting?
Yes of course but that depends on you not the fish. You fooled him twice already. It's reasonable to think you can again, it's a fish.

Or you are asking if the fish will ever eat again after being hooked twice?
Of course, it doesn't want to die.

Essentially you are either asking one of two questions. The goal in fishing is to imitate bait they feed on in order to fool them into eating and thus catching them.

So you are either asking:

Is it possible to fool this fish again into biting?
Yes of course but that depends on you not the fish. You fooled him twice already. It's reasonable to think you can again, it's a fish.

Or you are asking if the fish will ever eat again after being hooked twice?
Of course, it doesn't want to die.
I’ve caught the same bass a few times in the same day. This was a stocked pond though. I did just see a YouTube video where the guy catches the same bass on back to back casts. He is tagging them to be sure. Not sure if trout would be the same but you never know.

Will a fish like that bite again?
Well, RFDI tag info for the notoriously picky fish on the Delaware River showed a 21" brown being caught 4 times in a 45 minute span!

They have to eat but might become a little skittish or suspicious of offerings. Have heavier line, bland clothing and move slowly. You'll get him.

I lost a nice bass at the bank while spin fishing the other day, pitched a finesse bait back to the same rock pile and hooked then landed the same fish 😂. A fish will usually come back if it’s hungry enough

Since it isn’t a carp, you probably have a decent chance of sticking it again.

I've caught the same trout twice on the same day more than once and the same trout twice and thrice on successive trips.

For the record all but one fish was a stocker.

I've caught the same trout twice on the same day more than once and the same trout twice and thrice on successive trips.

For the record all but one fish was a stocker.
✅I've ought multiple steelhead multiple times on the L.E. Tribs.

I caught two fish just this year that broke me off during the fight. One was caught the next very next cast, one was landed the next day. Both had my presentation and about 3 feet of line hanging out of their mouths. I also once caught the same wild tiger trout in the same hole on the same day 4 consecutive years. It only grew from 5” to 7” in that 4 year span. I have also caught a native brook trout in the spring, then my nephew caught the same fish in the fall. He only grew from 8-1/4” to 8-3/4”. Re hooking and catching the same fish is not common but certainly occasionally possible. And sometimes they are back into a feeding mode within seconds of breaking you off. Fishing is full of amazing seemingly odds defying occurrences.

Back