Wildtrout2 - here is how I did

jifigz

jifigz

Well, I hit the water at about 11:45 am or so. The water was unbelievably clear. I immediately was into some nice water and I started off drifting a hare's ear under a yarn indicator. In that first nice piece of water when I went to lift up to make another cast I felt resistance and saw a stocked rainbow shake it's head once or twice, come off the bottom a bit, and pop loose. That all happened in half a second but I never knew that fish was there and the bite was so, so light. In another likely pool on a bend with some good depth I had three more fish semi-hooked but didn't land anything. By this time I had switched to a prince nymph. The bites were very, very light and the water was very cold. The sun was out and even back in the mountains I was plenty warm in just a light jacket. I kept working slowly and deliberately, feeling total peace at that moment in time with life, the weather, the stream, the approach of spring...it all just felt perfect.

I came upon one of the nicest pieces of habitat imaginable in a PA freestoner and cautiously tucked the prince nymph tight into the seam of current which would lead my indicator down into the slow depths of about 3 feet. I hooked up with a nice 6 inch native or so. This is the kind of water that holds plenty of fish, however, so of course I kept working it over. Well, I got hung up in a bush on a cast and instead of busting it all off I walked out in the pool to get it. I came back out, tied on the pink San Juan, and put it further up in the current where I had hopefully not spooked the fish while retrieving my last bad cast. On my second drift through there I had another light bite. I set the hook, felt the weight of the fish for just a moment, and then the hook popped loose and shot into a tree right above me. This one I had to break off.

As I am re-tying I see behind me another angler with a fly rod approaching. He is a middle-aged man and we chat for a bit. He said he ran into a couple of kids but he let them fish past him and he decided to walk up further. Well, he walked past me and I stayed where I was but before he departed the two kids came working up the stream. They walked by me and immediately hopped in the next pool just above me. They worked rather quickly and went from pool to pool. They were bypassing a lot of water that many spin fisherman often do. Trout hold in places that many anglers don't realize, this we all know. The bite started to pick up a bit and I began picking up more natives but only in the water that these two had walked by without spooking. Every pool or deeper, obvious holding water was lifeless, dead, and I can only guess it is because of those two youngsters that weren't even trying to be stealthy. I fished my way, catching a few fish here and there, eventually catching those two kids again sitting on a log. I talked to them for a bit, they said they hooked one. They were nice enough but clearly had a lot to learn about not spooking fish. They immediately hopped back in front of me and started churning and burning the pools up ahead of me. By this point I figured I had had a good enough day and that I could call it. I trekked back up the mountain to my truck and then headed out of there. All said and done I landed maybe half a dozen brookies and missed just as many more light bites. I no doubt would have done better had these two kids not been spooking the stream in front of me but it is what it is: Public land, Public water.

I was happy and content to feel the warm sunshine and see a few beautiful natives in my net.

PXL 20230226 191149708
PXL 20230226 174829653
pxl_20230226_172753558-jpg.1641229097

Attachments

• PXL_20230226_191139988.jpg
    PXL_20230226_191139988.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230226_172753558.jpg
    PXL_20230226_172753558.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 335
Glad you had a nice time on the stream. That one brookie is eating well. Thanks for sharing the pics. (y)

Last edited:
Great report! Thanks!!

Wow that stream was packed yesterday. I was there too. Recognize the stream shots in your pics. Assume you were the red GM pickup, parked facing east along the road?

I ran into the two kids, and what I presume was the other FFer you saw, as he was walking back down to his vehicle at the picnic area. Must have just missed you.

I fished from the picnic area up to the next road crossing and caught 9, all wild Brookies. The fishing got better up toward the road crossing, assume that area got fished less than further down. There was also a vehicle parked at the road crossing when I first got there. Assumed that was another angler fishing upstream toward the pipeline crossing. Figured it wouldn’t be that busy, even as a special regs, since it hadn’t been stocked yet. Gotta love fishing during the end of February, through opening day. My least favorite time of year to fish. Still, everyone it seems caught fish, despite us all fishing over each other all day. Speaks well for that stream.
85DA40D4 C6FF 4D4C AE72 4A77ED983E97
39303822 ECC0 4BAF AE7B EA206F683D0E

Wow that stream was packed yesterday. I was there too. Recognize the stream shots in your pics. Assume you were the red GM pickup, parked facing east along the road?

I ran into the two kids, and what I presume was the other FFer you saw, as he was walking back down to his vehicle at the picnic area. Must have just missed you.

I fished from the picnic area up to the next road crossing and caught 9, all wild Brookies. The fishing got better up toward the road crossing, assume that area got fished less than further down. There was also a vehicle parked at the road crossing when I first got there. Assumed that was another angler fishing upstream toward the pipeline crossing. Figured it wouldn’t be that busy, even as a special regs, since it hadn’t been stocked yet. Gotta love fishing during the end of February, through opening day. My least favorite time of year to fish. Still, everyone it seems caught fish, despite us all fishing over each other all day. Speaks well for that stream.View attachment 1641229102View attachment 1641229103
Wow, Swattie, so close yet so far from running into you. Indeed we have pictures of the same beautiful chunk of water on that nice little crick. That little riffle/pool that we both took pictures of is a prime lay for a beautiful fish. Is that where you caught your fish in the picture? You might have even seen my pink San Juan directly above in the tree where that riffle comes down and begins to curve.

Yes, I was in the red chevy truck that was parked right off the road. There was a car at the pull-off at the "other road" that cuts off further west so I kept going but figured the picnic area would have people so I straddled in between the two sites.....still ran into too many people.

Wow, Swattie, so close yet so far from running into you. Indeed we have pictures of the same beautiful chunk of water on that nice little crick. That little riffle/pool that we both took pictures of is a prime lay for a beautiful fish. Is that where you caught your fish in the picture? You might have even seen my pink San Juan directly above in the tree where that riffle comes down and begins to curve.

Yes, I was in the red chevy truck that was parked right off the road. There was a car at the pull-off at the "other road" that cuts off further west so I kept going but figured the picnic area would have people so I straddled in between the two sites.....still ran into too many people.

No, nothing from that pool or any of the other primo lies, same as you. Picked them up in the more non obvious spots.

Yeah, same. I was pot committed after getting a late start and making that drive. With most of my other usual favorites up that way (other than real tiny stuff) closed til opening day I decided to just fish and make the best of it.

I’ve heard the reports of wild Rainbows, though I haven’t caught one. Are there wild Browns in that? It seems like there’d have to be, but I’ve never caught one. Just wild Brookies and Stockers.

No, nothing from that pool or any of the other primo lies, same as you. Picked them up in the more non obvious spots.

Yeah, same. I was pot committed after getting a late start and making that drive. With most of my other usual favorites up that way (other than real tiny stuff) closed til opening day I decided to just fish and make the best of it.

I’ve heard the reports of wild Rainbows, though I haven’t caught one. Are there wild Browns in that? It seems like there’d have to be, but I’ve never caught one. Just wild Brookies and Stockers.
Yes.. There are all three wild trout species, but I haven't caught a brown in a couple years outta there.

Yes.. There are all three wild trout species, but I haven't caught a brown in a couple years outta there.

Hmm. Might need to time that one for a time where the Browns are more likely to be out n’ about.

Nice Job! It’s crazy to hear about all of the people on that stream.

Maybe people who were not legally allowed to fish their usual home waters after the feb 19th lockout? Yea seems odd based on the streams size, think I may know the one.

Maybe people who were not legally allowed to fish their usual home waters after the feb 19th lockout? Yea seems odd based on the streams size, think I may know the one.
I don't think that has anything to do with it after talking to all of the anglers I spoke to. Just people enjoying a nice location on a nice day.

Yeah. It’s definitely a function of the stocking closings IMO. I fish mostly small streams and I run into more anglers during the late Feb/March closure to Opening Day, than I do the rest of the year combined. Especially on relatively nice days, like yesterday. After the opener I generally avoid STW’s at all costs until at least May 1.

This stream is not Class A, it has a special regs section, and another section that is STW, in the same county. In a county that doesn’t have a whole a lot of special regs sections - Just one other one, that is pretty junky IMO. Despite being special regs, this creek hadn’t been stocked yet this Spring so I wasn’t really expecting to run into anyone on it, but probably should have in hindsight the more I think about it. Late hunting is done, football season is over, Daytona 500 was last week, and it was pretty nice out.

In Spring 2020, not long after the Covid shutdowns, I tried to fish Segloch Run on a warm Saturday in March. As I drove the road I saw three other anglers, and a fourth vehicle that likely was an angler, but I wasn’t actually able to see a 4th angler. This was in like a mile or so of stream, on a stream that drains just a few sq miles. I clearly didn’t fish it that day.

March is by far my least favorite fishing month of the year. Give me the January cold over the March crowds any day. It’s just a function of the same number of anglers (the hardcore guys that fish year round) divided by a much smaller denominator of potential streams that are legal to fish.

Even on the stream in this thread, if the entire stream in the county was open, and you had 5 anglers on it, we all could have spread out and never seen each other.

Last edited:
Yeah. It’s definitely a function of the stocking closings IMO. I fish mostly small streams and I run into more anglers during the late Feb/March closure to Opening Day, than I do the rest of the year combined. Especially on relatively nice days, like yesterday.

This stream is not Class A, it has a special regs section, and another section that is STW, in the same county. In a county that doesn’t have a whole a lot of special regs sections - Just one other one, that is pretty junky IMO. Despite being special regs, this creek hadn’t been stocked yet this Spring so I wasn’t really expecting to run into anyone on it, but probably should have in hindsight the more I think about it.

In Spring 2020, not long after the Covid shutdowns, I tried to fish Segloch Run on a warm Saturday in March. As I drove the road I saw three other anglers, and a fourth vehicle that likely was an angler, but I wasn’t actually able to see a 4th angler. This was in like a mile or so of stream, on a stream that drains just a few sq miles. I clearly didn’t fish it that day.

March is by far my least favorite fishing month of the year. Give me the January cold over the March crowds any day. It’s just a function of the same number of anglers (the hardcore guys that fish year round) divided by a much smaller denominator of potential streams that are legal to fish.

Even on the stream in this thread, if the entire stream in the county was open, and you had 5 anglers on it, we all could have spread out and never seen each other.
In previous years, I've noticed the same thing in my neck of the woods. When the stocked trout protection period is in effect, folks wander into the gemmy runs to get their fix.

The good thing is it's temporary. Once the stocked trout flogging holes open, it will spread out the pressure again. Hallelujah, and thank god for stocked trout.

Yeah. It’s definitely a function of the stocking closings IMO. I fish mostly small streams and I run into more anglers during the late Feb/March closure to Opening Day, than I do the rest of the year combined. Especially on relatively nice days, like yesterday.

This stream is not Class A, it has a special regs section, and another section that is STW, in the same county. In a county that doesn’t have a whole a lot of special regs sections - Just one other one, that is pretty junky IMO. Despite being special regs, this creek hadn’t been stocked yet this Spring so I wasn’t really expecting to run into anyone on it, but probably should have in hindsight the more I think about it.

Yea I have always felt access is lacking in many areas as well. Not as in there is no place to fish but just that as you and many of us have mentioned in the past that these streams by nature are not like bigger riffly/deep run Pa streams where people can rotate through stretches and unless the have a golden retriever who likes to get wet or really suck at wading you can come pick up fish after they work a hole.

But these kind of streams, like josh said, he only caught fish they had ‘t spooked. So its like if the lockout concentrates people to a-lot of smaller unstocked class A’s or non class A nat repro streams its not like working the deep blue rocks hole in penns 20 min after someone else, those fish are hiding.

feb 19th to April 1st is also my least favorite time of year because of the funnel/shrinkage effect you mentioned. Its 6 weeks of waters ya can’t fish for 2-4 week lasting stocked fishery. Would be my favorite weather for fishing time of year though!

Not to mention I enjoy fishing streamers in the late winter/ early spring rains and feb and march could be two of the best months of the year to hit your local small mouth stream and see whats there in the bass water thats not supposed to be that time of year besides just a bunch of stocked trout.

In previous years, I've noticed the same thing in my neck of the woods. When the stocked trout protection period is in effect, folks wander into the gemmy runs to get their fix.

The good thing is it's temporary. Once the stocked trout flogging holes open, it will spread out the pressure again. Hallelujah, and thank god for stocked trout.
Praise Gawd!

Yeah. It’s definitely a function of the stocking closings IMO. I fish mostly small streams and I run into more anglers during the late Feb/March closure to Opening Day, than I do the rest of the year combined. Especially on relatively nice days, like yesterday. After the opener I generally avoid STW’s at all costs until at least May 1.

This stream is not Class A, it has a special regs section, and another section that is STW, in the same county. In a county that doesn’t have a whole a lot of special regs sections - Just one other one, that is pretty junky IMO. Despite being special regs, this creek hadn’t been stocked yet this Spring so I wasn’t really expecting to run into anyone on it, but probably should have in hindsight the more I think about it. Late hunting is done, football season is over, Daytona 500 was last week, and it was pretty nice out.

Interesting you feel that way. Being very familiar with the area I would say that most traffic that picks up for fishing is smallmouth fishermen on the river in jet boats. I don't notice an uptick on trout streams. But, I do not spend enough time on this stream at any given point in the year and when I head back there to fish it's mostly just because I feel like it. I tend to fish it more in winter, however, and that was only the second time I've ever seen anyone back there fishing that wasn't right at the picnic area.

Generally I fish unstocked streams in February and March and never see a soul. Heck, I rarely see a soul after the season opens except for the first two weeks or so..

Back