Wilderness/Scenic Smallmouth?

V

VictoryLights

Can anyone think of any wilderness/scenic smallmouth streams within a couple hours of Pittsburgh that can be fished with waders?

While none are "wilderness", you might consider looking at the lower sections of Mahoning and Red Bank Creeks. Both are good SMB fisheries and have long unbridged sections in the lower third or so of their watersheds. The same would go for the Clarion River once you get below Piney Dam. It also has some long unbridged sections before you get to the Allegheny. I'm unsure of mine acid issues in the lowest portion of the Clarion though..

The Greenbrier River from Durbin to Cass in West Virginia would certainly qualify on all three counts.

It is not an easy road trip and the bass are as skittish as native brook trout.

Clarion and Allegheny are the two obvious ones in PA that come to mind.

If it didn’t have water quality issues, the WB Susky from Karthaus to Keating would be awesome. Probably the most remote section of big river in PA, but few, if any fish in that section sadly.

A little further of a drive, but Pine Creek, in the Canyon.

Good advice to look at WV too. New, Gauley, Kanawha. Greenbrier as mentioned.

It’s hard to find true “wilderness” in PA. Clarion and Allegheny are top choices mentioned by others. Both solid choices.

Oil Creek has a decent Smallmouth population. You can bike, kayak, or walk. Walking can be accomplished on the west side on the bike trail or on east bank by heading up/down the Railroad tracks. Best experience would be a buddy system starting at Drakes well and taking out at the canoe launch above petroleum center. Once familiar with the water you can return on foot to the best locations.

I’m hearing the West Branch of Susky has improved between Westport and North Bend. I’ve never fished there so I can’t confirm it but it gets brought up to me about once a year.

The Youghiogheny River in the Ohiopyle to Connellsville stretch is scenic and near wilderness. I'm not sure how many smallmouth are in that stretch though.

Frankly most larger streams and rivers in PA are scenic or at least have scenic parts. Wilderness, depends on your definition. And a couple hours, what's our limit?

The ones mentioned here are all good, and all of them are of a size where "in waders" depends on flows and where you wanna hit it. I'll add the Kiski River to the list. It's an ok smallmouth fishery, and the section from Salina to Apollo/Roaring Run is pretty scenic and roadless, and much of it is pretty wadable at lower flows, and it's certainly in your range from Pitt.

The Allegheny, is not exactly wadable unless you get well above the lock and dam systems, which is pretty far from Pitt, and even then it's big enough it's a pick your spots kinda place all the way up to Kinzua. But it is scenic and good fishing. Clarion/Oil/Tionesta/Mahoning are all up there too, a little easier to wade. If you choose one people can help with best spots.

I don't know it near as well. But uh, if talking that area and 2 hrs from Pitt, you have to look at the Yough and Mon drainages as well. The rivers themselves of course. I would think the Cheat River needs to be looked at as well. The Cheat River Canyon is pretty remote.

I’d add French Creek in Venango Co to the list. It was probably the second best smallmouth creek/river thru the 60s before all of the recreational lakes were added in NWPA in the 70s (Lake Willhelm, Lake Arthur, etc). At that time fisherman shifted to the new lakes with their exploding fish populations

BB0956CE B8C0 4B4F A84C 070DD2BEC346

I’d add French Creek in Venango Co to the list. It was probably the second best smallmouth creek/river thru the 60s before all of the recreational lakes were added in NWPA in the 70s (Lake Willhelm, Lake Arthur, etc). At that time fisherman shifted to the new lakes with their exploding fish populations

View attachment 1641226595
Its one of the most biodiverse watersheds in the entire east coast as well and won an award for this recently. Native smallmouth, Native Brook trout, 2 Native endangered darters, 4 Native threatened Darters, Eastern Hellbenders. I’ve read papers that document 13 darter species in just one riffle! I can’t wait to make it out there to fish and experience it someday.

Its one of the most biodiverse watersheds in the entire east coast as well and won an award for this recently. Native smallmouth, Native Brook trout, 2 Native endangered darters, 4 Native threatened Darters, Eastern Hellbenders. I’ve read papers that document 13 darter species in just one riffle! I can’t wait to make it out there to fish and experience it someday.
Don’t forget the 27 different types of mussels!!

The Youghiogheny River in the Ohiopyle to Connellsville stretch is scenic and near wilderness. I'm not sure how many smallmouth are in that stretch though.
I've always wondered what was below Brenner Run take out to the connellsville dam. Anyone ever try floating that section?

Back