Wild or stocked fish?

Mikey2006

Mikey2006

I caught this fish while spin fishing last year in the falling springs delayed harvest and I still don’t know if it’s wild or stocked. It looks wild to me but I caught it the day after it was stocked with brown trout so idk. Still can’t believe they stock the stream in that section I’ve been up there with my fly rod recently and seen/hooked some decent wild fish. Just wanted to know what people on here thought
9C2023F7 B360 49A5 9182 1EE3026ACE32
also a side question regarding the falling spring delayed harvest- is there any way they will stop stocking it in the future? It’s a great stream section with tons of wild fish. Not only does the state stock it but there also was a landowner I talked too who said he stocked it privately in the section he lives along. It all seems ridiculous. But that’s enough of a rant for right now, so do you think the fish was wild or stocked?

The fins are pretty unimpressive which makes me think stocker. When wilds get that big their fins tend to be noticeably huge.

The fins are pretty unimpressive which makes me think stocker. When wilds get that big their fins tend to be noticeably huge.
And they're pretty ragged. It's possible that they got that way from spawning, but I'm guessing a hatchery raceway is responsible.

The OP’s question about stocking. There are currently university fishery science experts, non govermental organizations, federal agencies, volunteer conservationists, and anglers calling out PA fish and boat for their irresponsible stoxking practices and advocating for stocking reform. Welcome to the club.

The way to get stocking stopped is two fold

1. Pointing out that the species their stocking are invasive and tons of scientific data showing harms to native fish all over the globe. Simply saying “don’t stock over wild trout” is very ineffective because “wild trout are not listed in the state action plan as a species of greatest conservation need. There is no obligation to protect “wild trout” as per their duty as a resource manager. Its something they do because its popular. They are obligated to protect sensitive, threatened, or endangered species because if they don’t and things go south the feds step in eventually when it gets bad enough. The invasive effect on native species is the angle we must take because it comes WITH the data to back it FROM fisheries science experts and species of greatest conservation need is a funded deliverable for PFBC from grants/ future RAWA money most likely coming ect.

2. You need people actually taking this angle and pushing it. This is where we are comiing up short. Not short on data, solutions or good reasons. Frankly there are a lot of cynical people who sit on their a**es. If they told their neighbors/friends, called their reps, spoke out publically we could most likely get this done.

If the stocking frustrates you grab an Oar and row the boat on number 2 above, thats where your needed and why I won’t shut up about this topic. Financial and ecological incompetence will continue to hide in plain sight until we bring this to non anglers, hikers/bikers, bird watchers, naturalists, kyakers, rock climbers, anyone with a connection to the outdoors who we canget to give a you know what, call out waste, fraud, and abuse, and contact their legislators.

Last edited:
The OP’s question about stocking. There are currently university fishery science experts, non govermental organizations, federal agencies, volunteer conservationists, and anglers calling out PA fish and boat for their irresponsible stoxking practices and advocating for stocking reform. Welcome to the club.

The way to get stocking stopped is two fold

1. Pointing out that the species their stocking are invasive and tons of scientific data showing harms to native fish all over the globe. Simply saying “don’t stock over wild trout” is very ineffective because “wild trout are not listed in the state action plan as a species of greatest conservation need. There is no obligation to protect “wild trout” as per their duty as a resource manager. Its something they do because its popular. They are obligated to protect sensitive, threatened, or endangered species because if they don’t and things go south the feds step in eventually when it gets bad enough. The invasive effect on native species is the angle we must take because it comes WITH the data to back it FROM fisheries science experts and species of greatest conservation need is a funded deliverable for PFBC from grants/ future RAWA money most likely coming ect.

2. You need people actually taking this angle and pushing it. This is where we are comiing up short. Not short on data, solutions or good reasons. Frankly there are a lot of cynical people who sit on their a**es. If they told their neighbors/friends, called their reps, spoke out publically we could most likely get this done.

If the stocking frustrates you grab an Oar and row the boat on number 2 above, thats where your needed and why I won’t shut up about this topic. Financial and ecological incompetence will continue to hide in plain sight until we bring this to non anglers, hikers/bikers, bird watchers, naturalists, kyakers, rock climbers, anyone with a connection to the outdoors who we canget to give a you know what, call out waste, fraud, and abuse, and contact their legislators.
who in the PFBC makes decisions about this stuff and how difficult would it be to get to a position where you would have any real influence? I’m still in high school and have no idea what I’m gonna do after I finish school but something in that field of work is something I’d consider if I could end up making a difference. Fishing for wild/native trout is something I’ve become very passionate about in the past couple months and I’ve always been interested in it before that. You know something needs to change when your out fishing a brookie stream during the closed season and you have to pay attention not to wander into a stocked trout section because they stock fish over the native population. I’ve been reading a lot of forums about this topic on this site and I completely agree with guys like you, we need to prioritize brook trout like other states are starting to do

...also a side question regarding the falling spring delayed harvest- is there any way they will stop stocking it in the future? It’s a great stream section with tons of wild fish. Not only does the state stock it but there also was a landowner I talked too who said he stocked it privately in the section he lives along. It all seems ridiculous. But that’s enough of a rant for right now, so do you think the fish was wild or stocked?
Yes, it's a possibility. If you think they should quit stocking it, send a letter to the PFBC stating your opinion.

who in the PFBC makes decisions about this stuff and how difficult would it be to get to a position where you would have any real influence? I’m still in high school and have no idea what I’m gonna do after I finish school but something in that field of work is something I’d consider if I could end up making a difference. Fishing for wild/native trout is something I’ve become very passionate about in the past couple months and I’ve always been interested in it before that. You know something needs to change when your out fishing a brookie stream during the closed season and you have to pay attention not to wander into a stocked trout section because they stock fish over the native population. I’ve been reading a lot of forums about this topic on this site and I completely agree with guys like you, we need to prioritize brook trout like other states are starting to do
The way the comission works is that biologists make recommendations to the commissioners who vote on proposed changes to fish management. All the commissioners could vote, for instance, to create 1-2 watersheds that manage wild native brook trout only in that watershed and end direct stocking on them in all other waters.

If you want to be a commissioner your qualified at this very moment! No biology degree or fisheries science background needed. This is a major current concern because it seems the unqualified commissioners only understand pressure from private hatcheries and groups that want to stock, not fisheries science. Their people that just like to fish, any forum member could be a commissioner at PFBC with equal relevant qualifications to the current ones.

I'm pretty sure that's not a recent PFBC strain stocker. I'd lean wild. But possibility of being raised in a private hatchery or something.
I've heard of a spot on the cheeks and adipose fin being considered "proof" of a wild brown. I've also heard that the premise is largely disproven.

Add red spots (as opposed to no color, or orange). I dunno if "disproven" as much as saying they are indicators, but none of them 100% foolproof. And fin condition, overall coloration, location, size, shape, whether the anus is distended, etc. Those are indicators too, though less reliable ones.

The way the comission works is that biologists make recommendations to the commissioners who vote on proposed changes to fish management. All the commissioners could vote, for instance, to create 1-2 watersheds that manage wild native brook trout only in that watershed and end direct stocking on them in all other waters.

If you want to be a commissioner your qualified at this very moment! No biology degree or fisheries science background needed. This is a major current concern because it seems the unqualified commissioners only understand pressure from private hatcheries and groups that want to stock, not fisheries science. Their people that just like to fish, any forum member could be a commissioner at PFBC with equal relevant qualifications to the current ones.
Why aren't you trying to become a commissioner? That could elevate your audience and help broadcast your message and you'd have a more powerful voice to implement changes.

Why aren't you trying to become a commissioner? That could elevate your audience and help broadcast your message and you'd have a more powerful voice to implement changes.
Quarter million dollars of medical school debt to pay back and a wife who followed me, supported me financially, and lived in sub 1000 sq foot apartments with me in over 8 locations throughout my 12 years of school/residency training who I promised a bigger house and more financial security one day at the time.

Never a sure thing, but I'd vote wild. Sparse spots, red spots (vs orange), no squiggly line spots, while the fins are worn, they look full and well developed like a wild fish to me. Just beat up from something (spawning?). Body size/shape seems appropriate for a wild fish. Color seems right for wild fish. My $0.02

Wild fish for me. As for Falling Springs, go back and read my previous posts on this. I've been calling for them to stop stocking the DHALO as far back as 2004. I started fishing Falling Springs in earnest back in 1993. That section always had lots of wild fish. Don't quote me here, but I believe that in exchange for landowners allowing the public on their property through there, the agreement was the assignment of DHALO regs so everyone could fish it. If PFBC were to stop stocking it and/or change the regs to something more stringent i.e. C&R All Tackle...I don't know if access would become problematic even though that is what is best for that stream imho.

Quarter million dollars of medical school debt to pay back and a wife who followed me, supported me financially, and lived in sub 1000 sq foot apartments with me in over 8 locations throughout my 12 years of school/residency training who I promised a bigger house and more financial security one day at the time.
What is a commissioner's salary? What do you love more, fisheries science or the medical world? Those are just honest questions.

I ain't never wet a line in Falling Spring, but I think this year in the dead of summer Im'a gonna haf' to try. Maybe get em on an ant or something.

What is a commissioner's salary? What do you love more, fisheries science or the medical world? Those are just honest questions.

I ain't never wet a line in Falling Spring, but I think this year in the dead of summer Im'a gonna haf' to try. Maybe get em on an ant or something.
Hot Spot Foam Beetle/ Japanese Beetle or run tandem with Stimmy as point fly with hardshell epoxy/black bead ant dropper. You can thank me later :)

Back