Wild Brook Trout in Ridley?!?!

I

InTheMend

So my buddy caught this brookie from Ridley behind the housing development below the ffo section.(I was there to witness it). I was not aware Ridley had wild brookies, although I have caught plenty of wild browns. Has anyone else ever caught brookies there?

The delco anglers stocked it with brookies over the weekend might be one of them?

Hi Mend, Yes, Tuberider is correct. Im part of Delco Anglers and if you are lucky to catch any brookies in Ridley, Darby or Chester creeks they all come from us!! We just stocked Ridley this past Saturday in the park on the bike trail and in the Fly stretch. 450 total!! We Also stocked Darby creeks at route 320 and Sawmill park. Another 400!! By the way if you happen to see anyone from Delco Anglers selling buttons, please be kind to buy one. They are only 3$ and all the money goes to raising our fish to put in the streams for everybody. Good luck!!

Here's the fish, doesn't look like a stockie but would not be shocked if it was..

Clearly stocked

there is a trib to ridley on the Nat'l production list. I can't remember if it's for bt or st. I also can't remember the name of the stream, but I think the stream is the lower limit of the ffo area.

Not seeing the pic. I'd also like to see pics of the wild browns you said you caught there. I have wanted to catch a wild brown in Delco for a while now, but haven't found time to pursue it. If they're in Ridley, that would be good to know as it is not on the Natural Reproduction list.

moon1284 wrote:
there is a trib to ridley on the Nat'l production list. I can't remember if it's for bt or st. I also can't remember the name of the stream, but I think the stream is the lower limit of the ffo area.

The Ridley Ck trib on the Nat Repro list is Dismal Run. Only a short, short stretch (confluence) is open, but pretty crappy IMO and not worth fishing. The bulk of Dismal Run runs through the Tyler Arboretum and is off limits. Not sure about the headwaters.

Having trouble getting the pics up but I am 100% sure there are wild browns in Ridley, hope I am not burning or anything like that by saying that but they are there and there are quite a few of them. I have caught some exceeding 12" but most are in the 5-8 range from my experience.

So let's talk about some things going on here...

If we fish a stream that we know is stocked, does it matter if the fish we manage to land is a stockie, wild, or a "holdover?" Does it take more perceived skill to land a holdover in a stockie stream?

Better yet, did you somehow TARGET only wild fish in this stockie stream? Are there flies that ONLY stocked fish will eat?

The whole wild versus stocked debate is so crazy. Think of it this way, we can go wild brookie fishing and punch fish in the face all day. And simultaneously have a harder day fishing over stocked trout. So there is some sort of disparity going on between perceived skills required and what's actually required.

My point is, who CARES? If you fish a stocked stream, assume that all fish that you manage to hook are stocked. If there is some hierarchy to fish because of how long they've been in the water, go fish trout waters that only hold wild trout.

No more claiming that this fish in the picture is stocked or wild. There are plenty of trout out there with blue spots, white tips, great fins, that are still STOCKED. If it means that much to you....go where the wild fish are.

Missing the point, dude. The point is that it would be very very interesting to find out that Ridley is capable of holding wild trout. I highly doubt that the stream can support breeding populations, but I would understand the excitement if somehow wild fish started showing up. Yes ,wild trout ARE "better" than stocked trout, because wild trout is a sign of a stream that can support breeding populations of trout. That is important to MANY of us.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Missing the point, dude. The point is that it would be very very interesting to find out that Ridley is capable of holding wild trout. I highly doubt that the stream can support breeding populations, but I would understand the excitement if somehow wild fish started showing up. Yes ,wild trout ARE "better" than stocked trout, because wild trout is a sign of a stream that can support breeding populations of trout. That is important to MANY of us.

Don't know the stream in question, but this is spot on dude.

Thanks Sasquatch, that was exactly my point in wanting to see pics.

It would not surprise me all that much if there are some in there as there seem to be small numbers of wild browns showing up just about everywhere these days (see recent discussions about the Juniata and sea run browns in the lower susquehanna). I just have never heard that from anyone else about Ridley, and it is a very popular stream.

TADB, the fact is that wild fish are better than stocked fish, maybe the best reason is they don't cost us money to raise. But I think you are perceiving a "disparity going on between perceived skills required and what's actually required." I don't know anyone who relates skill required to stocked vs. wild. I think most will acknowledge that either can be more difficult to catch depending on the situation. And location has a lot to do with which kind you fish for most often.

takeadeepbreath wrote:
So let's talk about some things going on here...

If we fish a stream that we know is stocked, does it matter if the fish we manage to land is a stockie, wild, or a "holdover?" Does it take more perceived skill to land a holdover in a stockie stream?

Better yet, did you somehow TARGET only wild fish in this stockie stream? Are there flies that ONLY stocked fish will eat?

The whole wild versus stocked debate is so crazy. Think of it this way, we can go wild brookie fishing and punch fish in the face all day. And simultaneously have a harder day fishing over stocked trout. So there is some sort of disparity going on between perceived skills required and what's actually required.

My point is, who CARES? If you fish a stocked stream, assume that all fish that you manage to hook are stocked. If there is some hierarchy to fish because of how long they've been in the water, go fish trout waters that only hold wild trout.

No more claiming that this fish in the picture is stocked or wild. There are plenty of trout out there with blue spots, white tips, great fins, that are still STOCKED. If it means that much to you....go where the wild fish are.

A lot of truth above. I will say that freshly stocked trout are not my favorite fish to pursue. While everyone is different, I really get little satisfaction from fishing over a pod of freshly stocked trout at the hole by the bridge, no matter what the size of the fish.

As the season progresses, the stocked trout become more accustomed to their surroundings and move to find natural feeding and holding areas. They begin to feed on natural forage, and learn the angler "game." At this point, stocked fish can be just as wary and difficult to catch as wild fish, sometimes more so.

Anyway, the whole idea is to get out there and have fun.

The Delco Anglers once maintained a small co-op trout nursery on the headwaters of Dismal Run in the Tyler Arboretum. I believe this nursery was operating through the 1960's and 70's, perhaps earlier. I worked at the arboretum while the nursery was still operational (c. 1980), but they stopped raising trout there soon after. The trout were intended to be stocked in Ridley Creek. During that time period, trout occasionally escaped from the nursery or were released into Dismal Run by vandals. This is likely the source of the Dismal Run wild brown popn. I occasionally caught a wild brown in Ridley Creek in the vicinity of the mouth of Dismal Run back when I fished Ridley on a regular basis (1980's/early 90's).

Ridley is one of my home streams. Brookies have been stocked this year and previously. I caught several last year and took a picture of one whose colors were so good I was hoping it was stream bred; but apparently not! I talked to Barry at the Sporting Gentleman in Media, and he said several people had reported the same thing; vibrantly colored Brook trout; generally on the smallish size. They are typically stocked by Delco Anglers; sometimes in areas that aren't heavily fished. I have caught them up to and into in the Golf Course. Ridley tends to get too warm in normal years to support them, but there are a few small spring fed tribs that stay cold enough given a good water year and moderate temps; does that ever happen anymore? Just saying.....

There is another trib way up the private road that does support wild browns. There are a couple of pockets in the special stretch that I tend to catch wild browns too.

Back