Wiconisco creek

M

Mking5

Anyone fish the Wiconisco delayed harvest section lately? Are there any other decent access points besides the Ned Smith Center?

You could try coming in from the other end down near the power lines close to Millersburg, You can find it on a map.
I have worked my way up from both sides with some success.

Unless you want to get some exercise I wouldn’t bother parking down at the power station closer to MBurg. They stocked all the fish at the foot bridge again this year. A good number of fish swim upstream of the bridge right away into the put and take section. My FIL and I haven’t caught anything yet this year past the good riffles about 150yrds downstream of the bridge. If you’ve never been down to the lower end by power station it is deep slow slack water.

That explains some of my experiences there. I've been down on both sides of the stream from the foot bridge. I walked down 5 or 6 pools and fished my way back up. The riffs and pools look great. Nymphing, streamered and blind casting tandem caddis with ZERO results. I think I have been there 3 times and the only place I saw a fish was right below the bridge and they were lightning trout rising to flower buds / pine needles that fell into the water.

If the only place they put fish is right there by the bridge, that's a shame because the next three quarters of a mile down is some really nice water.

It is very nice water down thru there 3/4 of a mile of so. Pre Covid the Millersburg high school kids would help float stock it. They wouldn’t take fish all the way down to the end of the nice water but at least fish would be spread out better and it would keep a majority from going up stream above the bridge. Would like to see the PFBC expand the section upstream a couple hundred yards from the bridge to the about the gate by the pump house. Years ago the local trout unlimited group spent a lot of time and money making stream upgrades to that section. They could easily stock it as they drive the truck down to the bridge and give people more room to spread out, and also prevent all the big fish they put in at the bridge that swim upstream from getting picked off on opening day.

Back