Why do people buy a fish friendly landing nets ....

S

springer1

.... when they still use hooks with barbs to maximize the wound inflicted during hook removal? On small hooks it's no big deal, but once the hook is a streamer size it does. Just snag yourself and you'll wish it was barbless. I just don't get it.

Just to play devils advocate.. a hole in a fish jaw probobly doesnt increase mortality, however rubbing the slime off a fish and keeping them out of water too long does.

I dont think the hole the hook makes creates any difference whatsoever, the reason barbless hooks are more fish friendly is because you can remove them easier ie: the fish spends less time out of water / being handled.

maybe I'll jump in my net just to see which net I prefer while pulling a barbless hook from my lip.

I'd say a combination of both barbless hooks and fish friendly nets are a proven best practice to reduce fish mortality (and insurance copays)

To add, sorry, there is really no reason to use barbs for catch and release fishing. So I agree. Kinda seems to defeat part of the purpose of having a fish friendly net if you're using barbs as well?

Main reason for switching to a fish friendly net? So I can get the flies with the barbs out of the net easily! Try doing that with a mesh net once!

bigjohn58 wrote:
Main reason for switching to a fish friendly net? So I can get the flies with the barbs out of the net easily! Try doing that with a mesh net once!

Amen! Hate mesh nets.

I only use a net from a boat. I do not need one for trout.

i do not use nets. i keep the trout under water and remove the hook easily. i do not touch the fish,only the fly.
why stress a fish with a net?

fish friendly nets and barbless hooks are to make their users feel morally superior,i guess.

shakey wrote:
i do not use nets. i keep the trout under water and remove the hook easily. i do not touch the fish,only the fly.

fish friendly nets and barbless hooks are to make their users feel morally superior,i guess.

You sound like the type that even putting a hook in their lip and having them waste energy on what they think is potential food is too harsh on the fish...to each their own though

Light leaders and tippets and nets go hand in hand. A lot easier to get the hook out of a larger fish without having the line break. I'd rather retrieve my fly then leave it hooked in a trout's mouth.

I don't use a net. I don't even own one. I feel like nets are only necessary for landing big fish in high sided boats or other awkward fishing situations. I fish light, and nets get caught on crap. Bass are landed with my thumb or not landed at all. Trout get a quick grab with some hemos most of the time or a wet hand.

shakey wrote:

Nothing to do with the fact that I am superior :-D. I use a rubber net and barbless hooks for convenience and quickness. Much easier to to remove a barbless hook and getting a hook in a mesh net drives me insane. Most fish I land don't see a net but it's nice to have one when you need it. I don't even realize I have it on my back anymore.

ryansheehan wrote:
shakey wrote:

Nothing to do with the fact that I am superior :-D. I use a rubber net and barbless hooks for convenience and quickness. Much easier to to remove a barbless hook and getting a hook in a mesh net drives me insane. Most fish I land don't see a net but it's nice to have one when you need it. I don't even realize I have it on my back anymore.

I'm just about like you. I rarely net a fish. If its on the larger size though I will often net them. I'd much rather have it and maybe not need to use it then to not have one and say wow I wish I had my net! I am going to maybe invest in a lighter net for next season. Mine is on the heavier side from when they first started getting popular. Most of the higher end nets are feather light now.

I've never owned a net except for my boat. I did break down and buy one for 'LL salmon because they go nuts when I try to release them and I end up handling the fish too much.

But for trout, steelhead, and Pacific salmon I still go no net.

Net or no net? In most waters I fish, a net isn't needed. Fish aren't overly big -- generally -- and you can typically lead a hooked fish into a position to grab the hook and pull it out. However, there are some situations that require a net. For example, often on the Yough River when you're wading in heavy current, your ability to maneuver yourself into position while playing a fish is severely limited. You may need to reel in a bigger fish in heavy current directly downstream from your position or from another awkward angle. A net is invaluable. I actually snapped the tip off my SAGE VPS a few years back when I tried to hand cup a huge bow below Ramcat Rapids on the Yough. I couldn't grab the fish, as soon as I touched it, the fish freaked, cartwheeled directly upstream causing my rod to bend quickly at a weird angle and SNAP! So I always have a net with me in bigger waters now.

I agree with greenghost. In larger water or waist deep water with a fish on the larger size a net is of some assistance. Horsing a fish in deep fast water is gonna cause a problem in one way or another.
I guess one option is to tire the fish to near exhaustion which I have seen fisherman do but that seems to be counter intuitive.
I don't use a net often but I'm glad to have it when its needed. I only carry one large box of flies so I'm not a kitchen sink guy either.

Barbed flies, rubber net and 1 of 2 things happen......

Power the fish in for a quick netting or I break the fish off trying g to power it I to the net. Netted fish are unhooked with very minimal handling, permitted to recover and then released. I found significantly more fish landed with Barb's and virtually no fish injured in 30+ years. If required, I'll pinch the Barb's but prefer not to.

Unlike troutpoop, I carry my flies in the kitchen sink. LOL

Back