Why do designers SOOOO botch brown trout colors?

S

Sylvaneous

SOME artists/designers get it right, and , of course, you know it when you see it. I had a SALE e-mail from Orvis that featured a 'dri-tex' (or whatever...:sleep:..) fishing shirt in 'brown trout' colors.
As Ron White said... "CLOSE!" (...have you wasted your life pursuing the pleasures of the flesh??? Are you naked in a bean bag chair eating Cheetos? "Yes Sir.." Do you feel like sending me a check for Fifteen-hundred dollars??? "CLOSE!." Love that s#!t. )
ANYWAY...As usual, I shake my head ruefully. It is human nature, as I see being a teacher of older teenagers, to finish short of the line when a good job was so easy to do.
This particular shirt design missed all the red-spotted beauty that wild browns possess, and substituted a charcoal-like color for the back instead of a more buff-olive color , true of the real animal. It'd been a neat thing to have, despite my repulsion of trinket-y fly fishing stuff. Rainbows are simple to represent and brookie colors are, even iif artfully represented, often close to form. There are just so many brown trout color designs that do not do justice to actual colors of the fish even IF they are subtle.
Syl

The problem is obviously the invasive species nature of the brown trout. In order to get a true to nature rendering, the artist would have to travel at least to Ireland or even better, to Europe and do the painting or design there within the fish's native range. I'll bet, if we look for it or better yet, fund it, there is a pile of science out there to support this that is at least as tall as a Studebaker Lark, which unfortunately is yet another in the long line of indigenous species we have lost...:)

Color matching is difficult.

It's hard enough to do in high end printing on expensive coated papers

Don't expect accurate matching of subtle shades in printing on fabric.

Color matching is difficult.

It's hard enough to do in high end printing on expensive coated papers

Don't expect accurate matching of subtle shades in printing on fabric.
This is a good point, particularly about fabric. ^

I've spent a lot of time looking at BTs and scratching my head about how to paint them. A wild brown has colors significantly harder to replicate on paper or canvas than other salmonids - under the spots there are just really wild and beautiful shades of orange, black, green, yellow, beige, blue, maroon, and silver.

When I have prints made, the BTs show greater variation in the prints. Prints of brookies all look the same to me.

A wild brown trout is a beautiful and elusive thing in so many ways.

Question. Do all European fish lovers think that the natives all look alike? ;)

Back