Why a loop for tail of greenie weenie?

1hook

Just kind of curious why they are tied with a loop for a tail.

patent protection only

it makes them wiggle when they fall.

I've given this matter concentrated and dedicated thought since I read the thread question.

After subjecting it to a likelihood ratio analysis much like that used at the both the Mayo Clinic and Corry Memorial Hospital to assess the results of medical diagnostic tests, here's what I decided (in ascending order of likelihood)

1) The patient has a gallstone (least likely).

2) Somewhere along the way, somebody decided a loop tail on a weenie would look snazzy and from there it become holy writ (more likely, but still doubtful).

3) When weenies are tied with a straight chenille tail, after a few fish, the fibers probably begin to shred and fall away from the thread that holds them and your green weenie starts looking like it has some sort of obscure spinal disorder. With the chenille looped, the tail probably holds up a good deal longer (most likely according to Mayo..).

Easy......it's a weenie.

I have always wondered why there were not more loop tailed flys. The only other one I know of is the wilted spinach which is a nifty little fly.

SBecker wrote:
Easy......it's a weenie.

Believe it or not...this is the answer.....

Without the tail/loop it ceases to be a green weenie. Thats the pattern.

Without the tail it becomes a green rock worm, caddis larvae, powerbait imitation, etc.

Sometimes the obviouse is obviously the obviouse answer....obviously.

SBecker wrote:
Sometimes the obviouse is obviously the obviouse answer....obviously.

Obvious with a loop on the end.....GENIUS!

Thats an Obvous Weenie

o[size=x-small][color=009900]OBVIOUS[/color][/size][color=009900]e[/color]

I feel weird that I have never fished a weenie.

A green weenie without the loop is like a playboy playmate without the silicon. Its just not the same.

There are certain questions best left unanswered. JUST TIE THE LOOP!

I liked the keeps the material from fraying off answer! 2 points!

BMarx wrote:
I liked the keeps the material from fraying off answer! 2 points!

Wow, this makes a surprising amount of sense. 3 points I say.

I just burn the end. I don't like the looped tail thing; I think it makes the body oddly shaped.

IMO the looped tail gives the fly more movement in faster water conditions.

I too burn em, san juans as well. It kind of looks "neat".

Lol hey don't blame me I have one of those jobs where I'm pretty much alone most of the day and am left with just my thoughts. A guy can come up with some good questions with that kind of time. I do like the answer about the materials not fraying, but of course one could just burn the ends. Oh well perhaps this question will go unanswered, who the heck came up with this fly any ways?

Leteras wrote:
A green weenie without the loop is like a playboy playmate without the silicon. Its just not the same.
I read an article about that in that mag, and they swore there was none of that silicon involved. :-o Good question wondered about that too, no one really knew when it was discussed.

Back