Who runs LJRA?

F

flyfishinx2

I'm interested in becoming a member and volunteering with LJRA and am curious about who the people are that run it and the history behind the organization.

Check their website. There is lots of info on there.

http://www.littlejuniata.org/

flyfishinx2 wrote:
I'm interested in becoming a member and volunteering with LJRA

Kudos to you - a fine organization.

Bill Anderson - doesn't get much better than this guy as a level headed conservationist..

I've been a life member since inception. Great group, cool website and forum. Doing lots of great things with the potential to continue making a huge difference on what I consider the best trout river in PA.

That is a great website. Am I misreading, however what seems to be depressing news on macro invertebrates here:

http://www.littlejuniata.org/article.php?id=100

Scott

Scott,
The LJ had a mysterious crash in it's population of macros back in the late 1990s which stressed the river and its fish.
Most folks today regard the river as being in a recovery mode with respect to the bugs and that the river is in good shape. However, surveys such as this suggest that things are not fully recovered yet (at least that would be my conclusion). It is also fairly common to see greater macro diversity the further downstream one surveys. This diversity - in other words the presence of lots of different bugs - is considered a better indicator of water quality than a very heavy density of just a few types. This is particularly true if there are different species of pollution intolerant bugs like stoneflies.

fellows: this site is well above tyrone, close to altoona. This area does not have the benefit of the prolific cold water springs and cold water tribs that makes the J an outstanding fishery.
Ongoing efforts to:
1. get the altoona water plant to reduce phosphorous and other discharges (completed last year)
2. working with the altoona water authority to have cold water release from its reservoirs
3. stream bank restoration in these areas to reduce silt (inhibits mayfly proliferation)

... will greatly improve this section. If you are interested, join and participate. A restoration project is coming up in July and new efforts to improve upstream trout spawning grounds is in the planning stage. You see there is still much work to be done.

PS: this area is actually far upstream from the estimate site of the macro and fish kills

You've already gotten the info on the LJRA and its top-notch leader, Bill Anderson. If you join, a life membership is only $100.00. What other conservation group can you join as a lifer for only that amount? Heck, if you join as a life member, Bill will even give you an informational tour of the river. What a bargain! Bill and his group have done much to retain public access to the river through private properties that border the river. The LJRA is really a group that deserves fly-fishermen's support.

Bill and a few other members of the LJRA are also donating their time to my local Project Healing Waters program. Without their organization, there would be no chapter in the Altoona VA hospital.

All I have heard of this group has been positive. I hope you can join them in their worthy efforts.

So now I'm an official "life" member. You guys talked me into it even though I've been unable to get a response to my emails from them. Everything I've read says this is an awesome organization.

Fishidiot wrote:
Scott,
The LJ had a mysterious crash in it's population of macros back in the late 1990s which stressed the river and its fish.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but wasn't it due to a pesticide spill?

I want to join, i tried to join the forum on their website and never got a response email to activate my account. Perhaps everyone who runs it is busy fishing this time of year, i know i would be if i had that place in my backyard!

Bill is busy. the grannoms just concluded and there are other items ongoing in regards to projects with the river.
he gets many emails to activate account. Most are spam/phishing schemes. Be sure to include information in the email to give him an idea that you are legit. The best way is to join the organization this would expedite things because he can be assured you are not trying to access the site for other reasons -although not required to be part of the forum.

Pennkev, one event was a pesticide spill. This wiped out the macros and crayfish but had little direct effect on the fish. The fish starved as a result. This was caused by a flood that washed drums of pesticide stored in the flood plain. There was another kill further upstream (just below tyrone) for which the cause is unknown. I've heard stories of fish "jumping onto the bank" to escape whatever was in the water.

They meet 2nd Tuesday of the month. Bill is everything everyone says about him. He's a good leader. its a really great group. The next meeting is on the 13th at the Tyrone library about 7 pm. Bill posts on the forum for the LJRA and he responds quickly.

my understanding is the flooding in 96 was a major player in the invert / crayfish crash. Charlie Meck used to say this was the best stream in Pain his humble opinion but that the event of 96 caused the crash ,that was 1997 when he said this. Imho where I fish it it isn't impressive that would be below the quarry or near it. I still want to hike in below where Spruce dumps in .

I think the fishing near the quarry is pretty good. They are a bit tougher there because of the pressure. I have hiked above Barree near the bend but didn't find it that great. Could have been the time of year though.

Back