Whiting Gold and Platinum

LetortAngler

LetortAngler

After a quick search, I couldn’t find anything in the forums pertaining to Whitings Gold and Platinum grades. However, I’m seeing they are becoming a bit more common at shops, and online as well.

Prices I’ve been seeing for Gold Saddles are ranging around 140-150$ and 160-200+$ for Platinum.

That being said, I’m curious to know if anybody has any reviews, general info, or comparisons between the silver/gold, or gold/platinum grade saddles, and if it’s truly worth the extra money?

This one is currently listed for $1,200. It looks incredible but a little too rich for my bank account. Sorry, but I am no help regarding your original question as the highest grade I own is silver.

Ironic that you bring this topic up as I realized last night I have not bought any hackle in probably eight years. While I may change that, I don't tie as much with it as I once did.

Also, the Whiting Silver capes and saddles that I own have tremendous feathers on them. With the feathers improving with each brood, I have to assume the newer feathers are incredible.

LetortAngler wrote:
That being said, I’m curious to know if anybody has any reviews, general info, or comparisons between the silver/gold, or gold/platinum grade saddles, and if it’s truly worth the extra money?

The high grade saddles are only a good buy if you intend to tie a tremendous number of flies using one color and in the limited range of sizes a single saddle will yield.

This means that even for a prolific tier, it probably is not a smart buy from an economics standpoint since you will still need to buy other hackle in other sizes or colors in order to tie a diverse range of patterns and sizes.

1/2 saddles and 1/4 saddles in lower grades, or capes in all grades may be a more practical if less impressive purchase. The difference in grades of whiting product does not affect finished fly quality in any tangible way, but the difference in pricing is substantial if you are looking to expand or diversify your hackle selection.

PennKev wrote:
LetortAngler wrote:

The high grade saddles are only a good buy if you intend to tie a tremendous number of flies using one color and in the limited range of sizes a single saddle will yield.

This means that even for a prolific tier, it probably is not a smart buy from an economics standpoint since you will still need to buy other hackle in other sizes or colors in order to tie a diverse range of patterns and sizes.

1/2 saddles and 1/4 saddles in lower grades, or capes in all grades may be a more practical if less impressive purchase. The difference in grades of whiting product does not affect finished fly quality in any tangible way, but the difference in pricing is substantial if you are looking to expand or diversify your hackle selection.

^Agreed. A whiting 1/2 saddle bronze inspected and selected in-person by the tyer should be good enough to tie any fly. One can tie a whole bunch of flies for $40+/- and in many sizes if you select the right saddle.

Tiogadog wrote:
This one is currently listed for $1,200.

This is insanity. I'm all for spending too much money on gear but $1,200 for feathers is ridiculous. The guys who buys this is probably the one that brags to all he spent $1,200 on a cape but never ties. More money than brains.

The platinum and golds are either for the collector, or the serious tyer who also loves good hackle. I personally have 3 platinums and 1 gold at this time. The barbs on a platinum are definitely different than say a pro grade, but the amount of flies you can tie out of a platinum is way larger than a pro or bronze. Factors such as useable feather length, uniformity of feather length, barb stiffness, size range in the entire pelt, stem condition, feather quantity, consistent coloration, and more are all looked at to determine grade.(this is from the whiting site)

Wow. If you buy the bronze and invest the savings every month into your 401K you would be a millionaire in 30 years and have awesome flies to fish with while your slugging out a living.

I'm sorry, my mind always does the retirement math first and barb count and stiffness last.

Whiting Grading Explanation

Whiting's web site has a comprehensive breakdown of what to expect from their various grades and product lines. see the above link.

Back