white fly

A

alatt

What is your favorite white fly pattern for trout?

In my experience, white flies on trout streams are mainly a nymph fishing game (at least until close to dusk). I like a gray/whitish nymph with a rust colored collar/wing case made with marabou or some design that allows for movement as these critters are fast swimmers. If I get a chance, I'll try to find one and post a pic later.

fishidiot I would appreciate a picture if you get the time. I'm more a visual type person, thanks

many people like a simple white popper. This is typically a HUGE hatch, so the added attention lets your fly stand out.

white flys are here now

Something like this is usually what I use. Keep it small - maybe #14. Just a tuft of gray marabou with rust body and black wing case.

Attachments

• White Fly.jpg
    White Fly.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 3
I always used a white wulff.
Just basically, an all white mayfly

white microfibbetts for tails
white calf hair wings
white dubbing body
cream hackle

My experience with the white fly (Ephoron leukon) is on one stream only, the Musconetcong in NJ where it comes off big time. I've never seen it any other place in numbers that make it a major event. Where have others seen it?

mcneishm wrote:
My experience with the white fly (Ephoron leukon) is on one stream only, the Musconetcong in NJ where it comes off big time. I've never seen it any other place in numbers that make it a major event. Where have others seen it?

The Susquehannah is legendary for its white fly hatch...

I've fished it on yellow breeches, and the little juniata.
It seemed to disappear from the little j after the '95 spill however, and I haven't really tried it much there since.
But all of the other hatches seemed to have come back now - so it would probably be worth checking out again IMO

I was in a white fly hatch on the Susq that was so thick you could HEAR them. I always use just a plain old Catskill style fly that gets beat into unreognizable but they still hit it' The YB get a good one too.

Back