White Fly pattern

jaybo41

jaybo41

Found this White Fly Pattern recently and really like the looks of it. He's tying on a size 10 hook. Any of you WPA guys have a size that you suggest for Neshannock or Slippery Rock Creeks?

No preference on hook sizes.

I was out a few days ago, and a variety of sizes of white flies were hatching (though, not a significant hatch - Just a few.)

From very big to moderate in size.

I think your OK going 14 dry, I sure was last year.

Saw the hatch last year and I'd say 10 is too large.... probably a 12 or 14, closer to a 14. Will try to hit the hatch again this year. That video is a typical hair wing fly. Looks pretty good. I tied up some typical catskills, some spent wings, and a few white foam hopper style flies to get some attention on the water last year. Didn't find any fish though lol. There are a TON of flies on this hatch, so you need to get some attention to yours against the naturals. A simple drift, unless you're casting over a consistant riser, is tough to get strikes. Fish won't be leader shy and you'll probably get a lot more bass than trout. Also it's not unusual to get a carp or catfish on this hatch, so 6x is not the way to go lol.

Good luck and have fun.

Ryan

Any of you WPA guys have a size that you suggest for Neshannock or Slippery Rock Creeks

If you're actually trying to match the hatch, #14 or 12 is good. However, If you are targeting bass, go big and use heavy tippet (2x is fine for bass)

I've found size and pattern to be secondary to just getting your flies over the fish. White panfish poppers are dynamite for bass and require no attention once you start fishing. Even wulffs and comparaduns require drying and redressing.

BTW, the hatch is late this year in our area, about a week or so behind normal.

Kev

I was out a few days ago, and a variety of sizes of white flies were hatching (though, not a significant hatch - Just a few.)

I second Streamers comments. I have seen a few, but not many.

I tied some really simple drys on some 14s. They look real nice in the water.

I just dubbed in a body with some white dubbing and took a white saddle hackle tied it in mid shank and didnt trim the 1/4 inch off the feather tip and left it as a single wing. looks good enough for me. haha.

I tied one on saturday morning to see what they looked like in the water and I was pretty happy with its looks. Havent caught a fish on one yet. First attempt at tying one. I'll attach a picture later.

My attempt at a whitefly.

Attachments

• whitefly.jpg
    whitefly.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 5
I've had some luck with a white wulff at times!

PaulG

The finished fly in that video looked pretty chunky to me. I would tye it a lot more sparsely.

It also looked a bit dark. Try to find some finer, whiter hair.

If you are targetting trout, try a 14 first. You may even want to carry some 16's because I have found trout will go for a smaller fly than the natural. If you want bass bring some 12's. They will go bigger. Be sure to compare your fly to the natural.

I tie a White Wulff at dusk and later you don't want to be messing with floatant.

Joe E

Good looking fly, MillerTime.

One suggestion.. Some white tail fibers.

Streamer wrote:
Good looking fly, MillerTime.

One suggestion.. Some white tail fibers.

I agree. Look at the pictures of the naturals. they have very long tails. http://ncflyshop.com/gallery6/

Also, on your dubbing, try twisting on a smaller amount and wrapping it tighter. It should be just a little bit thicker than the thread. You'll get a better looking, more uniform body.

I tie a White Wulff at dusk and later you don't want to be messing with floatant.

Or better yet, an all white Irresistable. Or even better, panfish popper. Muahhahahahhah.

Seriously though, this is the right idea. Fish something durable, easy to keep floating, and fish it on heavy tippet. A dainty, exact imitation will be toast after one or two smallmouth crush it.

Kev

I threw the first one I tied into a clear glass with water in it and was looking at the fly from below and though mine doesnt have a tail. . . The hackle i used does give it an antennae /tail look to it.

But. . .Yeah I have noticed the tails. I only tied 3 or 4 like this. My next batch will have tails though haha. Should have looked at more examples online.

I would say Dubbing is my current weakness. I am really bad at it. . . Like you said, it might be because I use too much. I am going to be more sparse with it to see if that helps me.

In the video posted above the guy tying actually helped me on the dubbing end of things. I just need to keep working the dubbing on to the thread and push it up once I get it wrapped around the tread good.

Any other tips for dubbing??

I also agree with Padraic on the tickness factor. The one in the video seems thick and heavy.

Lick your fingers before applying the dubbing and twist all in the same direction. This will get good uniform dubbing on your thread. I also (on dries) pull the dubbing a bit on my thread to make it tighter. So as I wrap, I have the dubbing in my fingers and pull it for a tighter body. This makes it look cleaner, and holds up a bit more. You can also use a piece of thread and wrap the body like ribbing to let it be more durrable, even if the recipe doesn't call for it. I like my nymphs buggy so I don't pull the dubbing tight.

Okay Cool. I just need to play with it for an few hours.

I hope to put a few hours this weekend.

Always twist it in one direction, too.

Any Suggestions on a White Fly Emerger

troutbum1964 wrote:
Any Suggestions on a White Fly Emerger

Others with more experience may chime in, but from my knowledge the emergence stage is very very quick and not worth fishing. There are THOUSANDS of flies on the water and just getting a fly in front of a willing fish without it taking the 15 naturals around it is the toughest part. I would not bother with an emerger and just fish a typical catskill, wulff, popper etc.

hmmm i really like how that compara dun was tied in jaybo41`s post, how the guy spun the deer hair , never tried that with a compara dun

If you are tying for bass, I wouldn't bother with deer hair comparaduns. The bass just chew them up.

Back