White fly hatch

M

melvinp

What are the favorite white fly patterns for smallmouth people use

The conventional wisdom is to use a white popper.

I sometimes use a large bushy wulff style dry fly. Last night I got a couple nice bass in the mid-teens on it.

Don't fish for bass.

But on trout streams, I like a white wulff.
This hatch is usually fished from dusk into total darkness.
And those white calf hair wings usually stay quite visible

I was invited to fish with a friend a few years ago. He used a white wulff pattern with alot of success.
An all white comparadun worked for me.
Haven't fished the Susq. In 3 years. I guess I need to go back

I've been fishing the white fly hatch since my early teen years on the Susky. It's really a hoot!

Some things I've learned >

Most times I use a white popper or slider in a size 6 or 4 because it floats well, is visible to me and the fish, and the smallies slam it hard!

I gave up using a trout type fly long ago for several reasons. When the white flies are on they often cover the water, and fishing a fly that imitates them exactly makes it hard for you to pick out your fly from a hundred real ones. The same can be said for the smallies picking your fly out from the hundreds sitting there floating on top.

Not only picking out your fly is a problem, seeing it is made even harder because it's dark or getting dark when the flies are on the water. You just have to move your popper or slider a bit to pick it up on the water and that's often when the smallies smash it!.

Finally, when you do catch a fish, your fly ends up water logged and all slimed up. You have to fuss with it to get it to float, and most times it just doesn't. You're left with the option of trying to tie on a new fly in the waning light, or fishing your fly blind because it is riding below the surface. A popper or slider needs no maintenance after catching a fish and catch you will! Just unhook, recast and hold on!!

Good luck to all.

Thanks for the info folks

You know all those coffin flies you tied up for the Jam but didn't get to use because Penns was pushing grass?... :lol: :pint:

tomgamber wrote:
You know all those coffin flies you tied up for the Jam but didn't get to use because Penns was pushing grass?... :lol: :pint:

If you tied them in size #14
I make all my coffin flies size 10 and 8

dryflyguy wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

Smallmouth, on the other hand, aren't particular and will eat nearly anything that floats by and resembles food when they are onto whitelfies.

PennKev wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

Smallmouth, on the other hand, aren't particular and will eat nearly anything that floats by and resembles food when they are onto whitelfies.[/quote)

Good point
Guess I’ve got trout on the brain

I'VE NEVER FISHED THE WHITE FLY HATCH. I WAS GOING BY SIZE OF THE FLIES I'VE SEEN IN PICS ON HERE OF OTHER YEAR'S WHITE FLIES. THEY LOOKED HUGE.

White flies are size 14 - 16.
And when fishing that hatch for trout, you'll likely need to match that size

i've never seen pics of anyone catching trout. Only catfish and smallies on the Susky.

tomgamber wrote:
i've never seen pics of anyone catching trout. Only catfish and smallies on the Susky.

Yeah, with trout you get about 30 minutes of rising to it before dark - if that.
Really not enough to make a long drive to fish it worthwhile, IMO

i use a light cahill .

have the white fly here on pine, but they seem to want a big meal like a size 6

Attachments

• DSCF2669.JPG
    DSCF2669.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2677.JPG
    DSCF2677.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2412.JPG
    DSCF2412.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2408.JPG
    DSCF2408.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 1
Sandfly, where are you located in Tioga County. Give me an approximate location and I may have a tale!

Maxima12

Back