White Clay in the Summer

tjsingle

tjsingle

Has anyone been out at White Clay in the last few weeks? I fished it about a month ago and I was curious about water temps currently

With the recent rain, I’m sure the temps have dropped. Only question is how warm it got before that and if any trout survived up this point of the summer. Did you have any luck? I’ve never fished it but it’s close enough to me to become one of my frequents.

I was there July 9 between 9 and 10 am just to walk. I didn’t fish. I was in the Keystone Select water from Good Hope rd to New Peltier rd. Water was low and clear and 66 F. I did see trout feeding, as well as sm bass , rb sunfish and fallfish.

Correction. I was there on July 10 2018 when I made the above observations

Thank you, i was curious how the trout fared in the summer there.

Sounds like it's worth checking out. Anyone know if the closest lots to park in on the PA side in the park within the stocked stretch of water? For whatever reason, I can't find any info.

JasonC wrote:
Sounds like it's worth checking out. Anyone know if the closest lots to park in on the PA side in the park within the stocked stretch of water? For whatever reason, I can't find any info.

Both branches, and the main stem (to the DE line) are stocked. The Middle Branch is Keystone Select stocked in addition to the normal stocked fish. There are maps on the DCNR with parking etc for the preserve. Parking for the Middle Branch is on Good Hope Rd and New Pelletier. The Middle Branch sees a lot of pressure since it’s Keystone Select, with good reason since there are some nice sized fish in it.

There are two small lots on Good Hope rd, one on each side of the bridge. Or park at the lot at new Peltier rd, near the old barn and walk up NP rd to the stream. Or further downstream is a lot near the bridge on Sharpless road near the PA Park Office. Sharpless rd is just upstream of the junction of middle branch and East Branch wcc.

I revisited the Keystone Select water on July 25 just after all the rain. The stream was still a bit high and colored but very fishable, though I did not fish, nor did I see any trout. Water temp was 62F. Evidently the stream had left its banks the day before. There were some physical changes but they were all good, or at least indifferent. This section continues to improve.

Back