Whip Finish Help!

mute

mute

I need to be told if im doing the whip finish correctly both ways. The finger way feels right, but im not sure. Using the tool doesnt feel right at all. All the tutorial videos i watched sucked because they didint film from their point of view.

http://pafishing.net/videos/whip.finish.mov

Here is a video demonstrating whip finishing by hand.

Here's one using a whip finishing tool.

Both look right to me. The tool does take a while to get used to.

Both look good.
If the thread doesn't unwind then I'd say you did it right.
I think the tool that you have is designed to swivel around the eye of the hook, but if it works like a traditional whip finisher and that's what your comfortable with.

I use the old thompson whip finnisher though which is a little different. I think that one is a matarelli?

Each style has its place, i use 3 different thompsons for different size flies..plus 2 different matarellis for same thing, I also use my hand and a half hitch tool to tie whip finishes..

I have one Materelli and it whip finishes every fly I tie.

Sandfly:

What is your reason for using different Whip tools on different flies?

For my dries I like the Thompson's cause the are close to the hook eye when you do the knot..The small one will do sz. 28's no problem..The smaller Materelli is used on standard flies (nymphs, streamers, wets etc.) and the longer one is used to tie off at the back of a streamer/salt water fly as in a joe's smelt etc..the black one is just a Thompson that finishes like the Materelli..each one has its place..one thing about the thompsons is the get in real close to the eye and head..

Back