whip finish help

govtmule

govtmule

I've been doing it by hand (insert joke here) and more than half the time i'm breaking the thread when i tighten it up (i do about 5-6 turns. i guess too much force and light thread) then i go back and do it again and seems i don't have any confidence in it and i'm ending up with a bigger head. i always half-hitched the crap out of it and it seemed to hold up pretty good. any ideas? i watched the videos on the finish over and over and im doing it right. to me it doesnt seem like one whip finish (5 turns) is enough to keep it durable...but i know i'm wrong.

jeff

I use the tool. (also insert joke here)

under $10 lasts forever.

hook the thread whip whip whip pull tight . . .

No problems.

But which one..I use the old thompson...others like the matarelli.

Search the forum. I know we've tackled this before. I remember sandfly showing us his tool. (keeping with the hidden joke theme)

I use the matarelli

I am not sure what the other is but I will be googling it.

I use a thompson that I bent with a pair of pliers so that it works like a matarelli.

I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.

I think it's a good idea to use a whip finish - 5 turns. I use a matarelli tool - lot easier than doing it by hand IMO
I just threw half hitches when I first learned to tie, and had a few flies unravel.

Try less turns, or maybe it's the thread???

Are your hands calloused? Sometimes my hands are so roughed up it causes the thread to nic up and it breaks when I try to snug it up. Try some hand cream.

Okay, I'll insert the joke...One does it by hand, another uses a tool, and a third recommends using hand cream.....
:lol:

I use a Matarelli whip finisher and it works great. Before that, I used a Thompson and it works okay too. The Matarelli is a bit easier to use, and the Thompson is a little more precise, IMO. With practice either takes only a few seconds to use.

I usually do a 3 or 4 wrap whip and repeat with another 4 or 5 wraps whip finish knot. I don't use head cement and the 1st whip finish holds if when on a rare occasion the top knot gets frayed.

I couldn't figure out the Thompson my kit came with, so I bought a Materelli.

I'd like to learn to do it by hand for completeness, but a tool is just so much easier.

I believe in abstinence so I don't use one.............

I never really got the hang of it so I just half hitch. I know I should use one but I don't have any problems with the way I do it.

(many puns intended)

3 turns should do it , don't want to crowd the eye too much

Make sure your wraps start at the body and work towards the eye touching turns as you wrap. If I'm tying simple flies that I can pump out in a couple minutes I whip twice with no cement.... they'll last forever.

Jeff,

Bruno has good advice. I whip finish by hand as well...3 turns should do it. But with cold weather upon us, make sure your hands and finger tips are smooth. It's amazing how quickly you can tear up your thread with cracked skin. Try and find the Mrs. manicure set to help.

thanks for all the help guys....i'll try lubin' up...HI-OH!!!

jeff

WIth all this talk about tools, doing it by hand, hand cream and crowding the eyes there seems to be one more thing missing...

If you do it too much you will go blind... I mean crowd the eye. Sounds like everyone is set to have a fun winter.

Fly Tier's Hand and Finger Treatment works great for smoothing out the rough spots. But my fingernails get broken easily and hand whipping has never been an option for me, especially since I use Danville Flymaster and other flossy threads. Hangnails and rips in nails will most definitely shred the thread.

I use a Matarelli and I have a Springo for when I need a springy finisher (certain threads). I do 3 to 5 turns.

If I am covering the thread with dubbing, I whip two or three turns, then dub about 1/3 inch of thread and do three whips to finish it off.

Have you tried letting someone finish it for you? Women have softer hands, so maybe your special someone could help out.

By the way, what is this joke I'm not getting?

Use a good head cement.A good wax job on the thread makes the whip go easier.If your hands are rough use a rubber glove. :lol:

theres a decent video on you tube on using the maratelli and the thompson

Back