Which Fly Rod to Buy?

W

waf120

I am looking to get a 4wt rod about 8' or 8'6", but not sure what to buy. I have been looking at rods under $500. Sage, Scott, Orvis all make a rod just below $500, but then the Fenwick Aetos at $180 gets really good reviews. My question is, will spending the money on a higher end rod make me a better caster or catch more fish, or is all of that stuff just marketing? Will using a rod from a high end manufacturer make casting easier? What differences are apparent to a weekend fly fisher between cheap and expensive rods? Disclaimer, I have been fishing cheap rods my whole life, I have never even held a rod worth more than $150. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I've got rods ranging from about $20 to $500. None of then "makes me a better caster" or a better fisherman. As soon as I get used to and comfortable with the rod I'm casting I can basically cast them all equally well and with very similar accuracy. Certain actions help throw certain styles of flies better but there is no correlation there between price. I can't help you decide what to buy but I will say that as far as cheaper rods go I love my Redington Classic Trout. I don't use fast action fly rods, even though I can bomb casts so much farther with them, and I prefer that more moderate slow action of the CT.

So yeah, I didn't help you at all. Buy you want but if you have other things that may require some dough or just to save then buy the Fenwick..just my .02.

waf120 wrote:
I am looking to get a 4wt rod about 8' or 8'6", but not sure what to buy. I have been looking at rods under $500. Sage, Scott, Orvis all make a rod just below $500, but then the Fenwick Aetos at $180 gets really good reviews. My question is, will spending the money on a higher end rod make me a better caster or catch more fish, or is all of that stuff just marketing? Will using a rod from a high end manufacturer make casting easier? What differences are apparent to a weekend fly fisher between cheap and expensive rods? Disclaimer, I have been fishing cheap rods my whole life, I have never even held a rod worth more than $150. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

All the rods you list above may be different so you really have to cast a rod to answer your questions.

In general the more expensive rods are likely made of better quality materials and have better quality control.

I can tell you that the Sage, Scott and Orvis rods you mentioned above at that price point are all made in the US. The cheaper rods, say < $200 are made overseas usually in Asia. Also the warranties from the more expensive US made rods are usually better and your rod can be sent back for repair. Most of the cheaper rods are throwaways when broken or damaged.

You really can't chose a rod by price point alone. All the rods may cast or fish differently and a cheaper rod may very well suit you better for the type of fishing you choose to do. Given that you are looking for a shorter 4wt, I surmise you fish mostly smaller trout streams, so the more inexpensive rod may suit you just fine.

I would focus on trying out rods as many rods as possible before you buy and pick the one that works best for you.

Good luck in your search.

What ever rod feels best in your hand is the right rod.High price doesn't equal more fish. I'd buy a better grade line IMO. Reel and line should balance the rod,I think this is important in making casting easier,imo. GG

I would try some rods at a local store and see what you like. Than I would look on ebay you can usually find them cheaper some are new some used. I just got my wife an 8 1/2 ft 4 wt for xmas that was new for 250.00 which I would consider a good price. No rod makes you a better caster or fly fisherman.

If you pick up one of Cal Ripken Jr.'s bats, odds are you're still not going to be able get as many base hits or home runs. Same goes for fly rods. The only thing that makes you a better caster is casting.
And just because you're a good caster doesn't mean you are going to catch more fish. Fly fishing is a complex and confounding habit, and one that's probably not possible to break.

The thing about fly rods is the one you like is the one you like and cost is not the overriding factor. I own about 40 fly rods, and there are a few others I'm thinking about getting, but there are only about three or four I fish with regularly.

How to pick:
1-Find out your preferred action. I like a very slow, soft action because I find it more forgiving and the fight is better for the small fish I mainly catch. Most of the guys I fish with prefer fast action, but they go with low-weight lines to get a better fight. Where I'll be fishing a 10-foot soft at 5/6 weight, my buddies will be at the same length but with a 3/4 weight. Don't presume you will go with a moderate action to split the difference. Find out what you like to fish with and buy that action.

2-Start low. If you're new to the sport, go with a moderately priced rod at the action you prefer. There definitely is a difference between a $100 rod and a $500 rod, but if you start with a $500 rod, you'll never be able to feel it or appreciate it. Also, if you start with a $500 rod but it isn't in your comfort zone for action, the experience will be doubly bad -- poor fishing, and the sour feeling of a bad buy. On top of that, there's no guarantee that if you spend $500 or even $5,000 on a rod you'll be getting quality tackle. I've been to shows and seen some beautifully made custom rods in the very high end and when I pick them up it's like holding a broom stick. Likewise, as has been noted in previous answers, there are some very nice rods in the low price range. Personally, I really like some of the Bass Pro / Cabela's store brands.

3-Consider all your options. When you start looking in the $500 to $1,000 range, you are getting to a place where you can have a rod custom made just for you. It's an option you should consider, but like anything else, just because it's custom made for you doesn't mean it will be perfect for you. Best to find a custom rod maker from someone you know who has had a rod built by that person. Also, consider building a rod yourself. There are some great rod builders in Pa who offer classes. Ron at Hook and Hackle comes to mind. He is a world class builder and has won some pretty impressive awards. Plus, he's a super nice guy.

4-Don't forget to go fishing. Find some spots close to home where you can get out for a few hours after work during the summer and in the middle of the day in the dead of winter. All rods work best when you fish with them.

Good luck and watch for more advice. Good perspectives on this site.

Thanks for all the great thoughts! I'm surprised/glad that the response wasn't automatically just to buy the expensive rod. I always thought that the rod doing more for you or some line like that was mostly if not all marketing. I do fish mainly smaller mountain streams in north central PA, which is what rod I am looking to buy for. I have a 5'9" fiberglass that I use currently, its fun due to its super slow action, but I think I would like something longer and faster to help throw nymphs or small streamers a little further.

waf120 wrote:
Thanks for all the great thoughts! I'm surprised/glad that the response wasn't automatically just to buy the expensive rod. I always thought that the rod doing more for you or some line like that was mostly if not all marketing. I do fish mainly smaller mountain streams in north central PA, which is what rod I am looking to buy for. I have a 5'9" fiberglass that I use currently, its fun due to its super slow action, but I think I would like something longer and faster to help throw nymphs or small streamers a little further.

If you get the chance, try out any of the rods before you buy.

For what it's worth, here is some detailed info about the Fenwick Aetos you mentioned being interested in > Aetos

Good luck.

For small mountain creeks or any size creek, river, or lake, an expensive rod is not needed.I don't own a single expensive rod and I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. rods in the 150 to 200 price range are nice rods. I'd put the remaining 300 - 350 in my 401K. Of course I have no practical knowledge of what a better rod is since I don't own any exspensive rods. However, I did retire comfortably in my mid-50's. You can thank me in 25 years.

Well, small streams. For mtn. brooks, I use an old Orvis 6'6", 4-wt rod that does a good job, esp casting dry flies. I imagine Orvis makes a similar rod today. For slightly larger creeks, I have an Orvis 7', 5-wt that is nice to use and handles nymphing well. I imagine Orvis makes a similar rod today. When I bought these rods, they cost about $200, a lot of money for me 20 yrs ago. I think rods of these lengths are the ones I'd advise you to buy if you mainly fish small streams. I doubt too much whether the brand is important.

I think buying one from a reputable fly shop might be helpful, too. You might end up paying a little more, but I imagine a good fly shop proprietor could set you in the right direction. If you are near State College, I'd recommend trying Flyfisher's Paradise.

I agree with those who advise you to try casting a rod before buying it if you can. Some fly shops will allow you to test the rod. I think Flyfisher's is one that does.

Good luck.

I've come full circle with the expensive gear stuff. I'm not 100% cured but i'd say i'm in recovery. I started out with "cheap" stuff but always wanted the highest end. Eventually I got the high end stuff and was glad I did at the time. Over the last few years I've sold and "downgraded" much of my fishing stuff.

For me personally I had to try to expensive rods for myself before just accepting that it didn't make a difference. When I am actually fishing I never think about if my gear is good enough. When I am sitting around in the winter or daydreaming at work that's when I want high end gear.

So like everyone is saying you for sure don't need expensive stuff. BUT i'll add in if you want expensive stuff and can afford it then try it out! If you want to consider hoarding high end rods a hobby in itself then that's ok also!

I agree in the overall message. Making one a better fisherman. no. It may be about a better experience- but like others wrote an ill fitting high end rod is worse than something that's less and a better match to your style and needs.

Flyfisher's Paradise. I bought my first premium rod from them a number of years ago. Where they were helpful was two of the guys came out and watched me try them out. They observed my casting. They provided feedback which actions/models fit me the best- what looked like I was casting with the least amount of effort, smoother etc. Big help. And no, they did not conclude the most expensive rod fit my stroke the best.

I don't like using a small business to test drive and then buy at some big box or virtual store. You can make up your own mind. On the other hand if you test 5 rods and none are "right" you should not feel obligated to buy one, but remember the business later. It's one thing to go in and touch and see, another to use peoples time and knowledge.

I have both Sage and TFO fly rods and love both brands. Due to my own stupidity I have used TFO's warranty service on a couple of occassions and have found it to be superb. No questions asked and I have my rods back within a week. As far as big box stores, since the merger that went down last year, Cabela's only warrants their brand for 90 days from the day of purchase. Their lifetime guarantee is done.

Always felt st croix line was dependable in that price range

Thanks for the link! I looked further into the yellowstone angler rod shootouts to see if they had more info. They have several shootouts in both 4wt and 5wt rods. The common thread among them seems similar to what everyone is saying on here. Expensive is not always better. Its a little crazy to me to see a top end RL Winston rod get rated lower than a rod for 1/4 of its price. I will take everyone's thoughts on the matter and spend some of my winter traveling to shops to test drive some rods to find out what fits me best. Thanks guys!!

Do you have friends that FF? Ask to try some of their rods...

Call local fly shops. Will they let you use their Demo rods out on a creek for a deposit fee?

How it feels in your hand and the fly shop "wiggle" will not let you know if you like the rod. You need to use it to get the feel. Nothing sucks more than dropping $500 on a rod that you don't have confidence with.

My favorite rod is a home made 8' 4wt MHX blank with Fuji alconite guides. All guides are single foot with inserts. This rod roll casts like a dream.

Bottom line: You may get lucky just choosing a rod to buy based on internet reviews but your best odds at loving the rod is to get it stream side.

What local fly shops allow you to take a borrowed fly rod to the creek?

My question is, will spending the money on a higher end rod make me a better caster or catch more fish, or is all of that stuff just marketing? Will using a rod from a high end manufacturer make casting easier?
No. Many expensive rods are faster action made for those “expert” casters that the makers want you to feel you aren’t ..... so it’s your fault and not the rods. And much of their expense is to cover their marketing and warranty replacements. Before you drop down serious money on a rod similar to what you already have - try a 7’ or 7’6” glass 4wt and see what your thinking is about the industry after only 1 day using it and realizing you can spend more time focusing on fishing better / smarter rather than trying to cast a rod they deem is for experts. Hey everyone is allowed their opinion & that’s mine.

Go to one of the local fly fishing shows. You can try a multitude of rods in all price ranges.

I recently spent a lot of money on a an Orvis Helios 3 fly rod/Mirage fly reel/Hydros line combo. and have yet to fish with it. I got a pretty good deal on it from Orvis.

I did this more so to honor my father's recent death and grandfather's memory, and all that both of them have meant to me through out my life(I'm now 60 years young) and with my introduction to the sport of fly fishing.

They taught me everything that I know along with a lot of guides as well. I have yet to fish with my grandfather's Orvis bamboo Battenkill fly rod that I had reconditioned.

I just need to get out there and fish since I am not getting any younger.

Back