Where Would You Go?

UncleShorty

UncleShorty

Where should I go in March?

I'm scheduled for the 2nd shot of vaccine at the end of Feb. So around the ides of March I'll be, theoretically, 95% protected. The irony is that the second shot will be given one year EXACTLY to the day I went into lockdown.

So I understand that despite the vaccine I'll have to wear a mask, or two, social distance and maintain hand washing and face touching discipline.

But I'm feeling more confident about staying in a hotel room or a campground cabin. And I'm tired of being home...

So my choices of states are: Arkansas, Colorado and New Mexico.

Given those three states, where and what waters would you recommend?

If you're mainly interested in trout fishing, I think I'd take a good look at AR.

The higher elevations that are associated with trout fishing in CO and NM are likely to be pretty cold. There are certainly some tailwater opportunities in those states to investigate, but conditions may be better in the South rather than the Rockies.

I now these aren't on your list, but I'd check out the Trout Parks of Missouri- specifically the Blue Ribbon Areas where the regs are restrictive and you are over wild fish. Of course you could also include some time to hit the stocked waters within the parks if you just want to catch numbers. My other choice would be Northern Georgia- lots of options there (wild and stocked, mountain streams or tailwater) and seasonably warm temps.

If you are limited to just the three states you listed, I gotta say AR then NM. The Little Red, White, Norfork and Spring Rivers give you four real solid if not world-class options. I haven't been to NM (yet, but on the list), but I've always wanted to fish the San Juan River. As part of your trip, you could include some of these wild trout streams to your itinerary: https://loeflyfishing.com...From what I read, you should be able to fish those before Spring runoff. The only thing that would concern me is the discharge schedules on the tailwaters. Are you looking to DIY or enlist a guide wherever you decide to go?

I've heard that people commonly trout fish in the winter in Arizona. And maybe New Mexico too.

But I don't have details on the streams.

But I'd lean on going there. Because I like western landscapes, in addition to the fishing.

But I've seen some photos of smallmouth streams in the Ozarks that look really gorgeous. That might be a good option.

I lived in Springfield MO (southwest part of state) for a couple of years. If you fly, that is one option. From Springfield, you have a lot of options (White River at Tanneycomo in MO near AR border, and Bull Shoals in NW AR which are tailwaters and not wadeable when releases are in progress). Same for Norfork River, which is close to Bull Shoals. The quantity and quality of fish in those rivers is impressive; when releases are underway you will need a boat.

The trout parks in SW Missouri, such as Bennett Springs, are decent options if the big rivers aren't fishable. Pretty scenery although all put and take fishing. Spring Creek is another option too. The spring season comes relatively early to that part of the country. There are other interesting options such as Crane Creek (native McCloud rainbows) that are available as well. It gets my vote.

Me, I like to be comfortable. Would go some where warm. March seems too cold for CO. I don’t know much about leisure fishing in those other locations. Temps seem similar but I’d still go to Florida - the bass fishing action is good if the salts to cold.

UncleShorty wrote:

So my choices of states are: Arkansas, Colorado and New Mexico.

I'd go all in and hunt big fish in the AR tailwaters.

During the warmer parts of the year, my choice would probably be different. But the uniqueness of that fishery compared to the other two states you are mentioned, and weather considerations would make it a pretty easy choice for me. Colorado has the most numerous and widest variety of waters out of those three options and would be my choice otherwise.

Southern tailwaters are another good option if you are open minded about desitination. Several states have very good TW fisheries. However, some are sort of isolated from other trout fisheries so so they may be the only game in town.

i don't know that you'll be completely in the clear from foul weather in any of those places. It can be cold or wet or cold and wet in any of those places.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Down here where a frigid winter day gets clear down into the 40's... it's easy to forget the climate in other states. So looking for warmer climes is a good idea.

AR & MO are moving up in the rankings because they are closer and have excellent tailwater fisheries. It's wild trout I'm after and it looks like I've got plenty of opportunities.

I just may have to write locations on slips of paper put 'em in the "Lucky Fishin' Hat" and draw one out.

Thanks again everybody. Plans are in the works for a PA jaunt in May/Jun...

Tennessee,North Carolina tail waters. GSMNP if you want wild trout. GG

I'd go south in March. GSMNP, east Tenn, or north GA.

I agree with going to AR. Fished the Little Red River Easter 2014. I rented a john boat with a small jet from Little Red River Trout Dock. Landed a 14.5 pound bow that trip. If I was to go again, I would solely focus on the boat rental docks. The big fish live under them and eat filleted fish. I was astounded when I witnessed a guy filleting fish. The size of the trout were absolutely gigantic and lots of them. When I do it again I will take an 8 weight or larger and toss a 8-12" simple white streamer to replicate the filleted trout. It was more impressive than aquariums at basspro or cabelas.

Shorty, forget that bull, go here, come here, follow me, come on, try it, get some, you need to!

Come to the Capital of Manhood, where dreams are real and fantasy is a reminder of what you left behind. You know where i am coming from now, don't you!

PENNSYLVANIA!

Shorty, you will find, you can become a GIANT here!

Deep inside, you know, i am right. Hercules, once lived in Pa. and as i remember correct, Pinnochhio, once lived west. You know that liar. I am the guy that put ternamites on Pinnochhio's leg. thats why he limps till this day. Any spelling teachers out there, please help Maxima.

If i could cast far enough, i would hook your jaw, let's say with a size #10, fight you, till tired, reel you to Pa. and release you into a "Cool Mountain Brook, surrounded by Giant Oaks, Hemlocks, Sweet Smell of Spicewood, all watched by the cleaver eye of a Bobcat".

Yep, we still have, cool Mt. Brooks.

Your Pal, 12. you know, 6 plus six, or 3 times 4. I like to think 11 plus 1.

THE CAPITOL OF MANHOOD AWAITS!

Come to the Capital of Manhood, where dreams are real and fantasy is a reminder of what you left behind. You know where i am coming from now, don't you!

:-o

maxima12 wrote:
Shorty, forget that bull, go here, come here, follow me, come on, try it, get some, you need to!

PENNSYLVANIA!

Deep inside, you know, i am right. Hercules, once lived in Pa. and as i remember correct, Pinnochhio, once lived west. You know that liar. I am the guy that put ternamites on Pinnochhio's leg. thats why he limps till this day. Any spelling teachers out there, please help Maxima.

If i could cast far enough, i would hook your jaw, let's say with a size #10, fight you, till tired, reel you to Pa. and release you into a "Cool Mountain Brook, surrounded by Giant Oaks, Hemlocks, Sweet Smell of Spicewood, all watched by the cleaver eye of a Bobcat".

maxima12 wrote:

PENNSYLVANIA!

I was entertained.

troutbert wrote:
maxima12 wrote:

PENNSYLVANIA!

I was entertained.

Guess you understand Maximese?

dryflyguy wrote:

I was entertained.

Guess you understand Maximese?[/quote]

I understand parts of it.

And you don't have to understand all of it to be entertained.

LOL, thats a pretty good maxi post right there

Maxi, You make me miss PA like a guy misses his best gal.

The March trip is just a shakedown since its been so long.

But PA is on the agenda for May/June. Pine, Little Pine, Lycoming, The 'Sock, Rock Run, Slate, Larry's et al...

A camping cabin @ LPSP... Kilbossi on a stick over oak coals...

I might even hit Billtown for a "Cosmo in the Garden" @ Cillo's College Corner. Then a glass of Jenny, a plate of peanuts and a game on the bowlin' machine at the 218. And there's always the daily special at McGrady's Irish Inn over on the south side...

WACC '78 & 79 My springboard to a UH EE, PE & PMP 25 countries, 5 continents...

I always enjoy your posts. We seem to be kindred spirits in many respects. Stay Healthy, fish a lot and keep those posts coming.

We'll hope that the poor souls whose horizons are too narrow to get it can be illuminated...

Back