Where to target trout video with Kelly Galloup

Night_Stalker

Night_Stalker

Kelly explains where and why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2rrn_7cOCA

Big Fan...

The answers he gives obviously pull from the experience gained by fishing larger waters (than our average) with wild trout in them.

The answers may seem very foreign to someone who hunts a stocking truck or stocking list. The smart thing to do if you want to have good fishing on stocked streams. No shame in it, it's smart.

"Big fish are right where you're walking and they aren't afraid of you" Pretty true statement.

Fishing a very pressured section of the WB in NY, all of the anglers are 50' off the bank casting into the main current. If you look behind them, there are some of the biggest fish in the pool sitting 5' off the bank that the anglers just walked off of. LOL.

At dusk, I've had fish use me as a current break to pick off coffin flies.

Another example: first time I took jdaddy to the D. He found a fish that was probably 27"-28" under a fallen tree, right on the bank in 16" of water. Couldn't fool him but that's the last place 99% of anglers would have even looked.

Doesn't only apply to trout. Looking for ledges or structure is key in smallie fishing too.

I guess that guy is famous for something? Seems like fishing to me.

I like Galloup making the vids and writing books on streamer fishing - meanwhile, living and guiding on the Madison where you just free float down the middle of the river and throw ANYWHERE and trout attack ANY decently presented streamer!..:)

Good winter-time viewing though, thanks for sharing.

Bottom line is they can and usually are where ever you least expect them - especially the big ones. Kinda like hunting big deer - they adapt...

Even in small streams, fish are very often in the 18 inch depth or less water. The point is probably 90% of the anglers out there walk right past fish when they get to the stream, it doesn't what the size of the stream is.
A perfect example of this is Pine Creek. Another is the Little Lehigh.

When I first started fishing I would rush up to the water and a bunch of fish of scatter. They weren't the monsters he is talking about. They were along the bank though. I've also seen quite a few fish near me as long as I'm not splashing around too much.

I also agree most fish I see are in less than 18" of water. But than most of the water I fish is less than 18" except some random deeper holes.

It's interesting that he says you don't have to fish right on the bottom, that the fish are holding a bit above the bottom, and will move up a foot to hit a streamer.

But a lot of the nymph guys say you have to get the nymph bouncing right on the bottom. Is there a contradiction here?

troutbert wrote:
It's interesting that he says you don't have to fish right on the bottom, that the fish are holding a bit above the bottom, and will move up a foot to hit a streamer.

But a lot of the nymph guys say you have to get the nymph bouncing right on the bottom. Is there a contradiction here?

General statements but no contradiction at all. The first paragraph above deals with streamers and the second paragraph deals with nymphs.

Nymphs are most effectively fished close to the bottom where the fish are holding most of the time. The exception is when the fish are suspended in the water column actively feeding. Most times fish will not move long distance to a nymph and/or will not even be able to see a smaller nymph at a distance. Finally, moving a distance to feed on a small nymph is using more energy than the food item provides.

Streamers need not dredge the bottom to be effective, especially in 3' or water or less, like mentioned in the video. The fish that hit streamers are aggressive and will move to the streamer and strike. Certainly they will move a foot, but it's not unusual to see a fish flash out of nowhere from a long distance to grab a streamer. A streamer represents a larger meal that is worthwhile to pursue from an energy use standpoint. Also, with streamers, fish will "reaction strike" out a predatory instinct when fast moving streamers or lures come into their vision and/or "hearing" (vibrations detected along their lateral line).

poopdeck wrote:
I guess that guy is famous for something? Seems like fishing to me.

He actually has quite a bit or credibility in the big trout department. Galloup has a reputation that goes back many years. If he says something, he's probably not just blowing smoke, its probably said from experience. I usually don't like to pump the tires of any of the "celebrities" of our sport, but Galloup is one one the few I feel comfortable supporting.

troutbert wrote:

If you watch some of his other videos that involve nymph fishing and rigging his flies, you'll see that he rigs his nymphs off of droppers above his weight so that the nymph drifts deep but are not dragging along the bottom. He also advocates using unweighted nymphs almost exclusively.

I unknowingly do something right? Look out! Almost exclusively fish unweighted nymphs or one beadhead when tossing a 3 fly rig.

Back