Where to place split shot on leader

bjkaledas

bjkaledas

Hi guys, I was wondering how far up you should place a split shot on when nymph fishing. Right now I keep it about a foot up so that it will pull it down to the bottom.

Thanks!

BJ

BJ, I usually place it between 6-12 inches, most typically, I'd say, right in between at around 9 inches. If you don't get excessive tangles trying to cast with the splitshot up that high, stay with it. If you do, try inching it down a bit closer to the fly.

IMO, it depends on the water type being fished. Ideally, you want to place the shot so that it is high enough to avoid spooking the fish (although chances of that are pretty slim, imo..) and close enough to the fly so that the fly does not ride up in faster flows. I very seldom place a shot more than 2 to 2.5 inches above the fly when fishing faster deeper pockets or runs, but will often go another inch or two in slower water. Unless I'm trying to get more fly action and a slow sink when fishing rocky river banks for smallmouth with a strymph or fur leech, I never go more than say 4 inches.

But that's just me. YMMV...

BJ,

I think the best answer is to try to find a clear stretch of water, tye on a very visible nymph, and watch how the fly "swims" in the water. You want to experiment as much as possible under you understand how the placement of the weight affects the fly.

If you place the weight close to the fly, you will see the fly sink faster. The fly will also "swim" less.

If you place the weight away from the fly, the sink rate will decrease. The fly will also be able to twist and turn more as it is affected by the movement of the water.

What you want is to have the fly touch the bottom and "tick" along the bottom, but still look like something alive trying to keep aright and ready to grab hold of a rock or rise to the surface as it is carried along.

A "typical" distance then depends on the stream you fish. I "typically" don't need weight on Clarks creek. On Penns Creek I "typically" put several bits of lead (I use soft lead) starting 9 inches from the fly and going up the leader on the knots (I tie my leaders). Spreading out the weight helps with casting. With the weight dispersed, I do not have to chuck and duck as much. However, you can get some really horrible tangles if you throw the loop too tight.

A great book to read if you are interested in nymph fishing is On the Trout Stream with Joe Humphries.

Padraic

I was always told 6 inches, because most often a trout hovers 6 inches above the bed. I think most fishermen make the mistake of putting on too little or too much shot. If you are constantly snagging the bottom: too much; and never feeling the bottom: too little.

If you tie you own nymphs, I suggest starting with lead. At first i didn't like the idea, but now almost always use it. My reasoning is that when I fish two nymphs, have two sinkers, and a strike indicator, I am now casting 5 points of weight. However, I I tie with lead, the same set up is three points. Plus I hate wasting materials and constantly changing rigs; not to mention I get stuck a lot more on the bottom and debry. The shot acts like a grapling hook.

Back