Where to fish, Maryland/ Virginia

DaveS

DaveS

I just found out my GF and I will be traveling to Tysons VA in August. She mentioned we could probably turn day two into a fishing excursion. Leaving the WASH DC area Saturday evening about 6-7 PM. Where to fish on the return to Yinzburg? Not ruling out a northerly route thru the Cumberland Valley, but in no hurry to get in to a whitefly zoo at the Breeches either. Thought or ideas are appreciated.

Your best bet would be to head north from Tysons Corner and get on I 70 at Frederick MD. Then proceed west on I 68 out to Garret Co MD. Probably about 2-3 hours drive time. There you can fish the Savage, North Branch, Yough (the MD special reg section) etc. Then just punch up into PA following the Yough back toward Yinzburg.

The waters in Garret Co. should fish well in August (as would the Cumberland Valley in PA). I'd skip the Catoctin area near Frederick during that time of year.

The entire Potomac River from around Leesburg all the way out to Cumberland MD is fine bass fishing too.

+1...What Dave said...Savage is a special place during the summer months. Good midge hatches that the fish key into on the deeper pools. Beetles and ants in the pocket water, and usually reliable caddis in the riffles. It is not always the easiest place to fish, but you'll do great. North Branch and Yough would be good as well depending on water level and weather. They both stay plenty cold enough near the dam.

Thanks guys. Since you are familiar with the area, any place you'd recommend for lodging Sat nite. Motel, Hotel, Inn etc?

Check out Savage River outfitters site for lodging... A little pricey, but not too bad for fully furnished nice lodging right on the river. I think the prices were about 180 a night last time I looked, but don't hold me to that. If you both don't mind tent camping, the sites on the river are only 5 bucks a night, and they are well maintained with a fire pit and picnic table. They don't have showers and your bathroom is a porta John. Savage River outfitters has nice pics on there site of the lodging and you'll have access to a pool that produces some big trout on dry flies right in the back yard.

I live very close to Tysons, Western Maryland is the place I visit the most it's a great area. There are some cheap places is Oakland Maryland, not too far from the savage.

Back