Where should I fish?

R

rwwong

My father is building a place in the Poconos that will be done early June. I am coming out and we are planning on doing some fly fishing. Neither of us have any experience fishing in the area. His place is in East Stroudsburg.

I'm from Minnesota and am used to fishing small streams both with drys and nymphs, alot of Caddis, BWO, Tricos, Caddis Pupa/larva/emergers, Prince Nymphs, and PTs.

If anyone could suggest a stream or even a pond, I would appreciate it. Also, what bugs will be hatching.

Thanks!

use the PA FLY FISHING SHOPS tab
I am not from the Pocono area but have fished the area a little
There is or was a shop called the EVENING RISE on Route 940
in the Pocono area

The SHOPS tab should guide you there or any other that may be in the area.

I have found that the FLY SHOPS no matter where are good sources of information.

Welcome to the area
Good luck

Steve 98

Come on guys, no one has any experience in this area? Admin? Moderators?

I definitely have no experience in that area. What I would do would be to consult the PFBC County Maps for the area near where I am staying. I would identify a few wild trout streams and a couple regulated waters. Then, I would google the stream/river name and see what turns up. Usually, you will find references to the stream on message boards, fly shop and guide sites and often you will turn up a hatch chart.

www.flyfishingconnection.com often has some stream articles for the better known waters.

Now, I could do all this for you and then recommend a few streams and you would think I was worldly and wise, but instead, I have empowered you to do it yourself.

Good luck and enjoy your fishing in Pennsylvania.

hey rw, i live in scranton, about 45 minutes away, though i haven't fished the poconos YET, theres some good streams in that area,

theres the brodhead, www.flyfishingconnection.com/brodheadcreek.html

and the bushkill, http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/bushkillcreek.html

prob the closest and most popular creeks, there are others but i haven't done any research on those yet.

those sites should give you a good overview,
also steve98 was close with the name of the flyshop its called the evening hatch, eveninghatch.com , also another flyshop is AA outfitters, http://www.aaoutfitters.com ,

prob other people on here can give you more specific info though, hope this helps get you started

Mr. Wong: If you want fishing and streams somewhat similar to what you have at home, the Lehigh Valley limestones are not totally dissimlar from the streams in Minnesota's portion of the Driftless Region. Although you'll probably see as many other anglers in one day as you see at home in a month. These streams include the Little Lehigh, Monocacy Creek, Bushkill Creek (different Bushkill from the one discussed in one of the links above) and Saucon Creek.

If you want a freestone experience that is more generally representative of Pennsylvania trout streams, the above mentioned Brodheads Creek is a nice stream as are many of those mentioned on the AA Outfitters web site.

There's also Dunkelbergers, 585 Main Street, Stroudsburg
570-421-7950 dunkelbergers.com They have a flyfishing section and should be able to give you some pointers on local streams like the Brodhead and McMichaels Creek and others.

There are a number of small wild trout streams on public land in the area north of Stroudsburg. Some with very beautiful waterfalls. If you like that kind of thing (I do!) be sure to check out the waterfalls.

I recommend the delayed harvest area on Dingmans Run. There's decent fishing there and you can also check out the waterfalls. There are waterfalls both below the delayed harvest area and above. There's a visitor center at the lower falls (Dingman Falls) and they have maps of the public lands in that area that show the streams.

The Delaware River in the area near Stroudburg is mainly a bass fishery, but it's a beautiful river. The trout part of the Delware is a bit of a drive further north.

Send me a PM I'll give you some streams to fish! If you're nice to me I may even take you to some streams I fish, when are you coming east?

Back