Where I'd Like to Be

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
Really itching to be somewhere warm and sunny with shallow salt water. I'll bet you've got the itch to travel too. South FL and the Keys seem really appealing these days. Sometimes, if we can't go there, there's some option or activity that can fill in, at least a bit.
For me, it's painting, reading old books about these places, or fly tying.

With this in mind, here's a recent piece off my easel...

Where would you like to go right about now?

Attachments

• Bn67f.JPG
    Bn67f.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 11
I'm in Florida now, and no place I'd rather be. The fishing has been good.

Beautiful painting Dave. My artistic talent is very limited, but next Wednesday I’ll be touching down in Fort Myers and driving south....

That is a nice painting, Dave. I like the detail in the water surface, the grass, and the light on the fish. It reminds me of a Paul Puckett piece. Do you do other saltwater works?

BrookieChaser wrote:
That is a nice painting, Dave. I like the detail in the water surface, the grass, and the light on the fish. It reminds me of a Paul Puckett piece. Do you do other saltwater works?

Thanks.

Yes, I paint all variety of freshwater and saltwater game fishes. I did a striped bass portrait last year; just finished the bonefish piece above, and I'm currently working on a mangrove snapper portrait.

I love saltwater fishing but spend more time painting the salt game than actually fishing it, especially in recent years.

I'd like to see some of the other saltwater pieces if pictures are easy to post.
Lately I've enjoyed the saltwater game way more than the sweetwater game.

Gosh, Dave. You got an eye.

Mango's are my favorite eating fish. I got into some on a wreck and had them chummed up to the surface in 80 ft of water. You could pick out the fish you wanted to catch and toss a bait in it's path Watch them eat then close the bail and hold on. The circle hook would just set itself.
It's been windy here and the water is still cool ,not the magic 72 we need. Soon, very soon it will be crazy. GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Mango's are my favorite eating fish. GG

Me too. Flags are overrated. :)

March can be a painful teaser month in PA and FL, but it keeps us looking forward in a positive way.

Beautiful work, man.
I'm an artist myself. Art director 24/7 for 35 years. Been working full-time remotely for an agency during the covid year. If I hadn't taken up fly tying I might be doing some painting. Maybe one day. Studied under Bob Sopchick. Always wanted to pursue the outdoor illustration route but kids and bills got in the way.
These days everything's online. I often scan pencil tissues and send them to my creative director. He's like "Wow, You know how to draw?" Different game these days.

Check out Hog Snapper. Great eating ,but ugly? Or an oddity. Hard to catch, leader shy, really tasty. Flags are over rated, they love them in the Keys. We get them here way offshore. A BIG Cobia was caught in Hommassassa last week. A few more days of hot weather and it's game on. GG

Mangrove Snapper. . .

Attachments

• GS29.JPG
    GS29.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 6
I’ve had them over for dinner in yrs. past. Yum

I’ve had them over for dinner in yrs. past. Yum

Back