Where are the bugs in SE PA?

L

lestrout

I've been on the water a dozen times in the last weeks since the snow and sleet storm, mostly stocking but also ffishing. I had thought that with good water levels and temps, that tan caddis and such would be coming out more. Before the big storm, there were several nice days and I saw loads of flies on several streams, with receptive trouts. But now, not so much. Any thoughts?

lestrout wrote:
I've been on the water a dozen times in the last weeks since the snow and sleet storm, mostly stocking but also ffishing. I had thought that with good water levels and temps, that tan caddis and such would be coming out more. Before the big storm, there were several nice days and I saw loads of flies on several streams, with receptive trouts. But now, not so much. Any thoughts?

Hey Les,

Same here. I've been driving around and fishing the SE streams and have not seen any or many bugs at all. When talking to guys fishing the area streams I hear the same story.

Most of the streams are at near normal levels and the water has warmed to near ideal temps. I would expect to see caddis and stones around and even some BWOs like past seasons.

The fish are taking flies beneath the surface but nothing happening on top. I know that doesn't do much for a dry fly guy like you.

It seems the more I learn, the less I know. Hopefully things (and the fish) will be looking up soon.

I fished the Manatawny in Berks on Saturday. Lots of Hendricksons, but no risers where I looked.

The two weekends before the rain on 3/31 I had some good BWO action. Since the high flow, I have seen a lot less bug activity (and correspondingly less fish activity).

I've seen some decent dry fly action on tan caddis, but day in and day out, a pupa will catch fish all day long. Took a couple on top today, but missed so many I went back downtown and proceeded to catch fish steadily. Also good water levels are just a memory now; most of our streams are slightly above 50% of their median flow. I believe if the weather gets more consistent so will the bugs. That said, if we don't get real rain soon my fly fishing in streams (around her at least) will be short lived; again!

Out on the Brandywine for a few yesterday. It was windy, rainy, and cloudy the whole time. The good new were Sulphers were starting and there were a fair no. of tan caddis and midges. The swallows were having fun but only saw one fish rising steadily; probably because the water temp fell way off in recent days. Took off the dredging gear and caught it on a Tan Bow Tie Caddis; a small Brown but felt good. I believe as soon as we start getting some warmer days the fishing will be really good. Of course we still need rain.

Back