When Trout are taking Emergers but it is not obvious what is rising?

Rainier42

Rainier42

Have been out numerous times now and have seen trout with splay rises, in some case launching out of the water. So, they are taking nymphs rising to the surface. Are some bugs (different types) in the air, but there is no major hatch going on. Have tried dry flies, surface emergers, and have swung different types of soft hackles but with no luck of any sort. Only thing I haven't tried is swinging different weighted nymphs to see if trout will take them on the swing.

In times like these, what do you all use?

its a humbling experience for me when that happens. all these fish rising and not one take lol. i recently started a post about fishing emergers. the fish i did hook was with nynpths while im rising to make another roll cast. it happens fast, and few times the fly doesnt stick until its in a tree behind me.

Kyle ... yes, very humbling. Your idea of drifting a nymph and then trying to catch on the swing is exactly what I am thinking and the only thing I didn't try.

This seems especially true of fish behavior on Sulphurs. My guess is there was a relatively sparse number of Sulphurs hatching.

When this happens I still fish a dry but sink, swing, and drag it a bunch. Get super sloppy with it. The opposite of what you’d think to do for a drag free drift. Kinda fun IMO.

Spinners and cripples are what works for us when the hatch isn't obvious... and let it drag in the film at the end of the drift like Swattie says.

Have been out numerous times now and have seen trout with splay rises, in some case launching out of the water. So, they are taking nymphs rising to the surface. Are some bugs (different types) in the air, but there is no major hatch going on. Have tried dry flies, surface emergers, and have swung different types of soft hackles but with no luck of any sort. Only thing I haven't tried is swinging different weighted nymphs to see if trout will take them on the swing.

In times like these, what do you all use?
Dear Rainer42,

Have you tried casting across and down with partridge and orange or partridge and yellow soft hackle wets? I like to fish one of each in tandem until the fish display a preference.

Cast across stream and down and fish the flies with a few gentle lifts of the rod tip along with slow strips on the retrieve. No need for light tippet. 4X is plenty heavy and 3X won't hurt either. The strikes are usually very aggressive and fish often break 5X or 6X on the take, especially if you are stripping when they decide to smack it.

Give them a try!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Rainer42,

Have you tried casting across and down with partridge and orange or partridge and yellow soft hackle wets? I like to fish one of each in tandem until the fish display a preference.

Cast across stream and down and fish the flies with a few gentle lifts of the rod tip along with slow strips on the retrieve. No need for light tippet. 4X is plenty heavy and 3X won't hurt either. The strikes are usually very aggressive and fish often break 5X or 6X on the take, especially if you are stripping when they decide to smack it.

Give them a try!

Regards,

Did exactly this but not on a tandem soft hackle rig. Tried Partridge&Orange, Bread Crust, and Sulphur soft hackles.

Did exactly this but not on a tandem soft hackle rig. Tried Partridge&Orange, Bread Crust, and Sulphur soft hackles.
Personally, I like the multiple fly set up better. I think it gives the fish more to react to and less time to think! ;)

Regards,

I can't tell you how many times, especially around Sulphur time when the fish are rising, slashing and even just sipping and none of my various Sulphur stages can't illicit a look. I then lower my head to get as close as possible to the surface of the water and I see Little Black Caddis fluttering over the creek.

Last night I had just hopped into my favorite local stream hoping to catch a Sulphur hatch and things looked dead. I tried a nymph for a few casts and even a beetle to see if the plop could generate any interest but it was no-go.

After about a minute, a fish stated rising almost straight across from me and about 10 feet away which presents a presentation problem when you are fishing an 8 fool rod with a long leader. ;)

Three passes with the nymph, and same with the beetle were fruitless then I practiced what I preach, tied on a Little Black Caddis and nailed a wild brown on the first pass...

I've said it a million times, if you are fishing where they appear, when in doubt, try a Little Black Caddis...

I can't tell you how many times, especially around Sulphur time when the fish are rising, slashing and even just sipping and none of my various Sulphur stages can't illicit a look. I then lower my head to get as close as possible to the surface of the water and I see Little Black Caddis fluttering over the creek.

Last night I had just hopped into my favorite local stream hoping to catch a Sulphur hatch and things looked dead. I tried a nymph for a few casts and even a beetle to see if the plop could generate any interest but it was no-go.

After about a minute, a fish stated rising almost straight across from me and about 10 feet away which presents a presentation problem when you are fishing an 8 fool rod with a long leader. ;)

Three passes with the nymph, and same with the beetle were fruitless then I practiced what I preach, tied on a Little Black Caddis and nailed a wild brown on the first pass...

I've said it a million times, if you are fishing where they appear, when in doubt, try a Little Black Caddis...

What size?

This is GOSPEL. Take it to the bank. Little black caddis when you can't tell what they're taking. 👍 Seen it countless times especially during the sulphur hatch.

Dear Rainer42,

Or better, fish two different soft hackles at once, one light and the other dark, or one larger (maybe a 14) and the other smaller maybe an 18). You'll narrow it down quickly enough.

(I'm saying two because here in MD, that's all you're allowed. You can of course try three in PA, but in my experience the middle fly seldom gets much attention.)

Been seeing this sort of thing a lot lately. I’ll manage to get one fish on an emerger and then only and occasional refusal or follow on pickup for the next cast. Appreciate the insights here!

Back