What’s your opinion on barometer and fishing?

pstmacteae

pstmacteae

Had 29,5 yesterday. Low! I figured it wouldn’t be a great day. And it wasn’t. What do you find you do best in? Rising barometer? Falling barometer? No pressure? High pressure? Steady barometer?

I've always felt that a drop in pressure always turned off the bite. This wasn't something I've ever measured but just something I've felt. I have no technical data to back this up.

I don't have time for the pressures to dictate when I get to fish. I will say when the barometer is rising the fishing is normally better. Right before a front comes through is always prime time and after the front fishing usually declines.

I don't have time for the pressures to dictate when I get to fish. I will say when the barometer is rising the fishing is normally better. Right before a front comes through is always prime time and after the front fishing usually declines.
I have also found this to be true.

Back when I kept a log which was a PC based app, I recorded everything including the barometer for the day(s) fished. With this software it was possible to create graphs & charts for stuff like catch rates at a certain barometric pressure, water temp, water flow, clarity, flies or lures used, even what tackle was utilized..

I seem to recall a certain pattern for rising or falling barometers and my catch rates but there was always an exception because of my brilliance at figuring things out... :ROFLMAO:

I guess that means I didn't really care and just went fishing when I felt like it...

...And since I gave up the log, I have more time to fish. ;)

Never paid attention to a barometer to determine when to fish. All I know is that pressure changes make the dog act weird and also cause the Missus' sinus headaches to get worse.

I can't take a lot of pressure. I start to come undone, get confused and forget stuff...

Actually, my general experience has been, for as much as I ever paid any attention to it, that barometric pressure didn't seem to affect my trout fishing, which was mostly small stream wild fish oriented. Warm water fishing though was a different story, even for panfish, but especially for bass and walleye. I always felt I did best on a relatively stable barometer.

Back