whats the deal with all these shiny silvery reels?

L

Lonewolve

i dont know what the deal is but it seems the last few years the Brain trusts at the reel companies are making hideous silvery look like they were polished with mothers metal polish reels, i prefer black or matte finish, an i like when Loomis had sanded blanks an were stealthy.

Well, it's really simple... silver reels catch more fish. LOL Or is it... they catch more fisherman? ;-)

Actually, if you have a nice nickel silver reel seat, one of those shinny silver reels would probably look nice.

Why are you trying to rip off Seinfeilds bit? Hack mid as well be Carlos Menceia

I design and make reels. The clear anodizing is cheeper and in most cases method type 1 or 2 are used where the color doesn't need to be as deep. I spec out type 3 which gives the best hardness and a deep color.

Silver looks cooler.

Black will scratch and chip. Silver doesn't really show wear unless you look closely.

I can't see using a silver reel. Look at Ozzie's video, the reflection off your clear license protection sleeve reflects like a beacon, what is a silver reel going back and forth going to look like on a sunny day? I have no evidence to support this but it sure seems logical to me. But then again, my logic has been questioned before.

I recently read gold & silver outsell the black reels. "Oooo, look! Shiny!" :roll:

I like matte black, but I'm a maverick. ;-)

IMO it does not make much difference. I have reels that are silver color, gold color and black. I have never experienced a spooked trout that I thought was scared off by the color or finish on my reel. Just my opinion.

I doubt it makes much/any difference, but all else being equal, I'd pick the darker colors in a matte finish.

Black will scratch and chip.

Don't really care, it's not a fashion show. If anything, I call that "character".

OOOO!!!, shiny! pretty!! = sales.
I even have proof, well sort of. This past weekend at the cabin fever show in cranberry, they have some tables of used stuff for sale, on one table, side by side, there was a real shiny newer pflueger large arbor and next to it were two black SA system(two's I believe). the pflueger was selling for 100 bucks or so, the SA reels had 60 bucks on them. all these reels were 7-8wt reels, in my opinion, the SA reels were the better buy, made in england, very nice drag and line capacity. BUT, as I watched for a while, 9 out of 10 people picked up the shiny pflueger and ignored the SA reels.
yep, people like shiny.

I doubt it makes much/any difference, but all else being equal, I'd pick the darker colors in a matte finish.

Quote:

Black will scratch and chip.

Don't really care, it's not a fashion show. If anything, I call that "character".
+1. To each their own, but I like how older used reels get a character just like older blued firearms get a patina that the newer finishes justs can't do.

Back