What's happening on the west branch and main stem of the delaware?

D

dryflyklesse

Heading to the delaware this weekend what kind of conditions am I looking at and what's happening on the water? Sulfur yet? March browns or drakes?

None of the above listed hatches.....yet. The warm temps might get things cranked up but don't get too excited. Both dams are spilling, limited wading and the forecast doesn't look great. Thunder storm chances every day this week wrapping up with 1.5"-2" predicted for Friday. One gully washer 30 miles a way could jam you up for 2-3 days. I think MB were spotted yesterday at Callicoon and south .

Last Friday we had Hendricksons, caddis and blue quills. Started seeing consistent risers around 3:30pm when we reached the main stem. Only saw a few risers on the West.

Too early for Sulfurs and I doubt you will see any MB's either unless you go way down around Calicoon. I was up last Wed - Fri and there is still lots of Hendricksons and Apple Caddis. One of the branches had a fantastic subvaria spinner fall last night.

Main stem is unwadeable right now and the WB also but barring big rain the WB and main should be wadeable by the weekend.

I'm floating so wading isn't an issue hopefully the water drops before I leave

I don't think it will. Heavy rain Friday, flash flood advisory already mentioned for parts of north east. If they get anywhere near predicted amount, the lakes will spill big time. Doesn't matter if they release 225cfs when 1200 is coming over the dam. I hope I'm wrong but it doesn't look like Saturday will be pretty. I'll be up as well and don't want to lose 2 days of fishing because it's blown out. We'll see if they start dumping water prior to rains or if they hold back and keep the lake full.

Heavy rains.......same time as jam on Penns. There's a first. LOL.

I always expect rain up there and blown out waters at least two days lol why I stay for a week but can't complain camping right on the river

I understand and always take the golf clubs....just in case its toast.

Rain forecast got a little bit better from last night to today, went from almost two inches to a little over an inch, i'll take it for now!

Hey, that's like your employer telling they will be adding a 0 to your paycheck. I'll take it.

At callicoon it is at 2800cfm and dropping so Fridays rain will raise it but it should drop nicely through the weekend and beginning of the week

Do they dump water out of the reservoirs ahead of time to make room and then dial it back once the rain comes?

Sometimes. You can't ever guess what they wl do up there. Just looked at gauge and dump off yet. If Brandon's wade trip gets blown out for Saturday, he might be joining us.

Friday doesn't look pleasant but weather could shift and it might be an amazing week up there definently not wading this stuff yet?

Back