What would you do?

sroach

sroach

Was fishing a stream (Doesn't matter which one).

I see lots of BWO's, in the air and on top of the water. Fish weren't taking nymphs I was throwing (all the standard and was bouncing on the bottom)

I watched the water and I was seeing dimples, not splashes and not sips.

So I switched to Emergers. I tried a couple sizes of BWO emergers, I started with a smaller size 18 and when a BWO floated by me I picked it up and went to a size 16 which didn't work either.

Should I have tried a different emerger, or different size? or something altogether different.

If you were seeing dimples, my guess would be dorsal or tail fins touching the surface, which would indicate they were taking emergers before they reach the surface. I would have thrown on a flashback barr emerger, or something of the sort.

Who knows why they refuse our flies sometimes. Maybe size or color, but most likely drag or some unnatural movement.

I would tie on a size 16 bwo pattern that floats well, then drop a size 18 unweighted pt or hares ear off of it about 8 inches.

My guess would be it was a masked hatch of midges.

I agree it could have been midges and at that point I toss a streamer or open a beer.:lol:

I would have swung a soft hackle emerger.

kobalt335 wrote:
I would tie on a size 16 bwo pattern that floats well, then drop a size 18 unweighted pt or hares ear off of it about 8 inches.

Same thing but maybe 4 inches.

Green weenie

ryansheehan wrote:
kobalt335 wrote:

Same thing but maybe 4 inches.

8 inhes... 4 inches... I'm told it's less about the inches and more about how you work your rod... Oh, wait. :lol:

Wet Fly on the swing

sroach wrote:
Was fishing a stream (Doesn't matter which one).

I see lots of BWO's, in the air and on top of the water. Fish weren't taking nymphs I was throwing (all the standard and was bouncing on the bottom)

I watched the water and I was seeing dimples, not splashes and not sips.

So I switched to Emergers. I tried a couple sizes of BWO emergers, I started with a smaller size 18 and when a BWO floated by me I picked it up and went to a size 16 which didn't work either.

Should I have tried a different emerger, or different size? or something altogether different.

I guess you never tried a dry? (which would have been my first choice)
I catch many fish on dry flies when they're just making dimples or bulges on the surface.
Maybe the fish in your instance were taking emergers. But when everything else that you try isn't working - why not try a dry?

Hey @dry,

Sorry should have put that as well. After emergers weren't working I tried a few sizes of dry's.

Granted I should have went to a much longer leader aince I saw a few get spooky from lining them.

DavidFin wrote:
I would have swung a soft hackle emerger.

Agreed. Specifically, a pheasant tail soft hackle in a size 16 or 18.

Baetis nymphs are swimmers; fishing on the swing would be better than a dead drift.

sroach wrote:
Hey @dry,

Sorry should have put that as well. After emergers weren't working I tried a few sizes of dry's.

Granted I should have went to a much longer leader aince I saw a few get spooky from lining them.

Yeah, a longer leader may have helped.
I fished BWO's on spring creek a week ago. The water level was very low - practically at a summer flow rate. And the fish were very picky.
I did OK with 6X tippet. But had thoughts about going to 7X

Back