What to use for gold flash hot spot?

A

a23fish

I received an one-the-water gift fly today from a fellow angler that worked well. He tied it and left before I remembered to ask him what he used. It is basically a two tone fly with black & grayish tan thread, but it also had a small piece of shiny metallic material at the collar, just on top, not wrapping around. What can I use for the shiny bit, and how do you tie it in?

Could be any version of a flashback nymph. Tinsel is largely used as the flashback and is quite easy to tie in. Just google tying a flashback nymph and will get many examples most likely a flashback PT nymph. Doesn’t matter the type of nymph as the flashback is pretty much tied in the same way on any fly.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find something gold. That is within my fly tying capabilities.

Of course it’s within your tying skills. There is nothing difficult in fly tying. There’s at least one roll of gold tinsel on every fly tiers desk. it can be called tinsel or Mylar. It comes on spools and it comes in strands where it’s called flash or some variation of flash. both strands and spools come in sizes that denote the width. You can cut it from a candy wrapper, potato chip bag or a dollar store Mylar balloon. It’s every where. I’m partial to the Opal mirage that’s shown in the video for my flashback material.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find something gold. That is within my fly tying capabilities.

It's almost Christmas...

There should be a ton of flashy gold stuff out there. :)

FWIW - When I tie flash back nymphs I've found using a single short length of 1.5 mm flat Mylar braid easier to tie in, more durable and flashier than traditional Mylar ribbing.

Good luck!

Thanks again folks, I appreciate the details for specific materials I can use.

DSCF3388

have had these 2 rolls for over 40 years still going strong.

20231203 130530

It's almost Christmas...

There should be a ton of flashy gold stuff out there. :)
When I was still working, there was an office door decoration contest each year at Christmas. I'd go from office to office and ask them to save me some of the tinsel off their doors. I've tied a lot of flies with that stuff.

Without walking down to the basement (where my fly tying desk is located) to look, I just remembered the brand of stuff I use for flashback nymphs:

Not the cheapest but excellent stuff that is super easy to work with and durable without needing to apply an over-coating of epoxy or UV stuff.

Back