What to use First Fork and Kettle week of Oct 11?

S

Schraeds

Will be fishing Sinnemahoning First Fork Spec Regs next week. Any suggestions on which flies to use. Getting back to fly fishing. Was my COVID therapy. Fished in Spring and had luck with BWO and Tan Caddis. Any suggestions much appreciated Thanks Schraeds

Schraeds wrote:
Will be fishing Sinnemahoning First Fork Spec Regs next week. Any suggestions on which flies to use. Getting back to fly fishing. Was my COVID therapy. Fished in Spring and had luck with BWO and Tan Caddis. Any suggestions much appreciated Thanks Schraeds

Welcome back to fly fishing (FFing) - there are a lot of folks who have rediscovered the outdoors since Covid.

Anyway, keep those BWOs and tan caddis in your boxes as they work well in the fall months. In addition, I'd add some egg flies for the stockies in First Fork and Kettle, some generic streamers for both streams, especially if water levels are high, as well as some ISO and stonefly nymphs.

Best of all, for surface fishing in my opinion, are terrestrials. Many anglers don't use them after summertime but a foam beetle, grasshopper, or ant can be very effective in October, especially if the streams are skinny and there are not obvious hatches.

Thanks for the input. Will update you when we return.
Much appreciated.

Back