What to Look for First in a Trout River

Aducker

Aducker

I look at the Orvis site almost daily and I thought this was useful info for newbies:
http://www.orvisnews.com/FlyFishing/Thursday%20Fly%20Fishing%20Tip%20Finding%20Trout%20in%20Rivers.aspx

Thanks Jeff, I actually learned something in that video. When he talked about the swirls caused by rocks that you could not see deep in the currents.

Being a dry fly snob really simplifies things for me.
I just look for risers. And if it ain't happening in one section, I move onto another - or even to a different stream

I'm old and sometimes easily confused , are you asking a question here or are you saying the Orvis guide is the solution to this question. If it's the latter , if i was you i would reconsider and do some more investigation , hands on if possible.

Jeff ... big fan of the orvis blog. Great stuff for US newbies as well as some cool fishing videos

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Jeff ... big fan of the orvis blog. Great stuff for US newbies as well as some cool fishing videos
I think it would apply to European newbies too. ;-)

osprey wrote:
I'm old and sometimes easily confused , are you asking a question here or are you saying the Orvis guide is the solution to this question. If it's the latter , if i was you i would reconsider and do some more investigation , hands on if possible.

I'm not asking a question and no I'm not suggesting this is the end all answer on What to Look for First in a Trout River. And no I'm not up for a debate on the subject. And no I didn't write the blog for Orvis nor did I produce the video. I just provided a link to some information that I thought would be helpful to some.

As for your suggestion for me to do more hands on investigation> Noted.

Easy man , i wasn't sure if you were a newbie asking a question is all and i wanted to make the point that i din think the Orvis answer should be your end all.............sorry.

Wow... I knew Orvis had videos, but I figure they'd be more "sales" related. I'm going to spend my lunch breaks next week going through the series.

Good thing my boss just let me buy nice big crystal clear monitor to watch them on. Haha.

sit and watch would be my suggestion.

reading tom rosenbauer and john geirachs books, trout can be about anyone.

Are the trout still alive? There was a bit of heated water in some of them there comments.
I enjoyed the video as well..(THANKS JEFF)..It helps to simplify reading a stream/creek/river. The most important thing is location....if the trout or fish arn't there - it does not matter what you use, your not going to get a hook up. Also, Trout are not the only fish that use this type of structure or water condition.

If you're talking about my comments with Osprey, all is good. Osprey is a gentleman and I would fish with him anytime anywhere:)

Ok, I didn't want to see any duels with flyrods in the near future on some stretch of the river.

What I look for is temperature and habitat.

Fish

Dang it, I was gonna say that! :-D

Thanks Jeff and might i say the feeling is mutual and we are ALL fortunate to have you here.

Phish_On
As you know, alot of times the fish are hidden by the rocks.

I look to see if the water is clear or stained.

Back