What to do when you wade to deep

Acristickid

Acristickid

My fly fishing companions thought this was so funny.

Don’t remember Spruce being so deep and swift.

I am not a hipper guy for sure.

https://imgur.com/a/gI1zRwC

acristickid wrote:
My fly fishing companions thought this was so funny.

Don’t remember Spruce being so deep and swift.

I am not a hipper guy for sure.

https://imgur.com/a/gI1zRwC

^ :lol:

Even the tamest of streams are deep and swift right now in this monsoon cycle we are in! At least the water is too cold right now.

I really appreciate my convertible waders. I wear them waist-high most times like wading pants but can always easily pull them up to be chest waders for deep wading or for cold weather.

I chuckled at the pictures, mostly because i can remember doing that so often. The first two years i was fly fishing i borrowed hip waders. I always wanted to get to that next spot and go out a little deeper to get to that fish that was just out of my reach. I was too bold more times than i can count my first two years and ended up dumping the water out of my hip waders doing that upside down crab position just like in your pics.

When i finally decided to purchase waders of my own, i made sure to get chest waders. Now i can go those extra few feet without worrying. If I wade too deep that I threaten to fill my chest waders, i'm not just being bold, i'm being stupid.

I've filled my chest highs too, things happen in the pursuit of fish. I will often make foolish decisions chasing the one. Good thing they don't make head high waders......

WADING BELT, WADING BELT, WADING BELT. I'm an aggressive wader. Too much sometimes and I end up like your pics. Especially on the Little J. Wading belts are better than a life jacket.

Not when your wearing hippers.

Wet wading - wearing waders but wading over them.

I went down in my waders on Pine below Cedar Run last month. High water in the weeks before deposited a foot or more of mud along the east bank. While fighting to free my right foot, I fell backwards into 12-18” of water. Unfortunately, the fall did not free my foot. I was forced to roll over onto my belly, wearing my Richardson chest box, and use a big rock to pull myself further into the stream. I have no clue how I didn’t break my bamboo rod which was under me the whole time.

Just jon, you reminded me of a back layout I did a few years back. I got into some marble like rocks that rolled when I tried to wade through a shallow spot. It wasn't the fall that was a problem it was trying to get up after i rolled over. The rocks just kept rolling out from under my feet . Added in was the artificial knees that really aren't good to kneel on. I managed to crawl to the bank and get on some sand and eventually got standing up and rolled my waist highs down and drained most of the water out.The boots still had water in them and the top got sand in it. It sure made for an uncomfortable two mile walk back to the car. GG

Art, the category is tips and tricks, hot trips and ticks.

Well, I tripped over ,tipped over and tricked up,fricked up my knees. The water was COLD, and there are no ticks in NZ.
Best leave me alone or I'll send this low your way. We've had 4 days of rain with at least 4 more to come. Temp in the Gulf has dropped about 6 degrees. Good thing I live on a hill. GG

You know I am usually good for at least one tumble per outing, but with all that practice, usually the only thing hurt is usually my pride.

I'm knocking on wood.

Been hot and humid here with the occasional thunderstorm. You can almost see the corn grow, and the grass is growing like it's still springtime.

Last rain was Saturday I think. No sign of rain in the forcast for the next several days.

A "Polar Plunge" will give you "Cool Jewels" GG

I fell in the other day. It's been a few years since that has happened to me. I was watching fish and walking at the same time and ran into something. It was a cool evening and I kept fishing but I was shivering by the time I got out.

FarmerDave wrote:
You know I am usually good for at least one tumble per outing, but with all that practice, usually the only thing hurt is usually my pride.

that made me laugh because once I've slid down a bank onto my butt or hit my head on a low limb...whatever, I feel a sense of having gotten that out of the way and can concentrate on fishing now.

I am terrified by waters

Hook_Jaw wrote:
I am terrified by waters

You probably were afraid to come out of your door for all spring in Penns Creek Canyon :-o

Finally the water came down, but the temps went up. Can't win for losing...

Simple thought. If you can, try to remain calm and retrace your steps in the direction you came from, back to lower water, rather than take a random step in another direction in search of higher ground that may or may not be there and may only get you in more trouble.

tomgamber wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

that made me laugh because once I've slid down a bank onto my butt or hit my head on a low limb...whatever, I feel a sense of having gotten that out of the way and can concentrate on fishing now.

I can see that.

It's like when I still played golf, I'd toss an old ball into the first water hazard I came to. Offer one up to the water gods.

Back