What size scuds and cress bugs on Spring Creek?

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

I'm gonna fish spring creek near state college soon and was wondering what size scuds and cress bugs to tie. Also any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

12 or 14 through tiny. When you get there, flip a few rocks and you will see plenty.

I agree with Jay, 14 is probably on average my most productive. At this time of year a Tan Scud with flashback sight fished works well.

14 is my most productive size. A good trick with scuds, is to slowly strip them back to you.

The vegetation is starting to let loose, sow bugs all through it. Just a tip, size 14/16.

I'd suggest both scuds and cress bugs be in the range of a quarter inch in length. Dark olive color.

Dave , any pattern you use in particular for Cress Bugs ? I usually just tie a generic Scud/Sow bug but am interested in seeing a specific pattern.

Thanks

Don't forget to toss some Walt's worms in your box. Easy to tie and can be highly productive!

If I was fishing spring creek real soon , i wouldn't ber throwing cress bugs or sow bug or scuds as my main go to fly for me it would be egg patterns , my guess is trout in spring creek key on them heavily right now for some reason

Don't forget orange scuds as well. Sometimes I like to tie an olive scud with an orange bead in the center.

I strongly disagree. 12-14 is not the best size patterns. Theycatch fish, but whenever you flip that rock and put that size 12 cress bug in your hand next to an average one, you'll be very surprised being that your size 12 could eat the other one for breakfast. When fishing scuds and cress bugs, a try to fish tandem. I usually use a 14 scud/cress and a 18-22 size dropper of the same pattern. The best size is 16-18 for Spring Creek, Big Spring, Letort, and Falling Spring.

Strongly agree with last post. Sz16, maybe 18.
Med olive mixed with some tan. Mix in some clear Antron and you got it

+2 for smaller sz 16 to 18 muskrat nymph

Just curious, are scuds found all though spring or only in certain sections?

Scuds or freshwater shrimp are in weed beds, and they cling to rocks. Since we're talking about Spring creek they can be found just about everywhere in the stream. The healthier the stream the more there are. Cress bugs like to hang out in the weed beds mostly like water cress, hence the nickname, they also hang out on rocks but downstream of a nice size weed bed is always a safe bet. They also like overcast days better than sunny days. When shrimp mate they have orange eggs in them, so orange hot spots work well. They mate several times a year so it seems somebody's always pregnant. When shrimp die they'll turn orange so some orange shrimp patterns can be handy. Especially after a low water time period then a good rain that brings the water level back up.

Both work on Spring everywhere. However, Old Lefty dropped some knowledge on me one day....cress bugs above Bellafonte, Scuds below. I could have them messed up though. Lol maybe he will jump in.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this, just because if Old lefty feels like this is the case it doesn't seem like it leaves a lot of creek for whichever is below Bellefonte. Since Shane isn't sure about which one it is it'd be nice to hear about it.

Back