What size flyrod for a 7 yr old?

Baron

Baron

I will be looking to gift either classic re-wrapped rod or a new finished Proof Fly Fishing Blank. We only Pond fish for Small LMB and Panfish at this point. While small she is determined and serious about fishing with Poppop and often out-fishes her 14 yr old brother.
I'm thinking 2wt 6.5 ft.
What say ye.

echo gecko! great rod for little kids as well as adults! my younger daughter started using it when she was 6yo. and i use it as my small stream rod. rated as a 4/5 weight but ive had aggressive tapered 6wt lines on it and had no problems casting it 40+ ft (although a lighter line definitely feels better on it). the rod has caught plenty of really large fish and handled them easily while little fish are still lots of fun. with the right line setup, i like using it as a mini two handed rod as well. in general, lots of fun.

6’6” eagle claw featherlight makes the most sense to me .

It is available as a 3/4 or a 5/6 .

They’re often less than $40 , brand new.

Couple of things to add about the echo gecko, the extended fighting butt really helps in both casting and fighting fish. Gives the kid a place to put the butt on their chest when fighting fish and my younger daughter likes using two hands to cast (as do I). And the grip is sized for a kids hand. Easy for them to hold and control all day...I find it comfortable as well...personally find a small grip a lot more comfy than a big grip. If you watch a little kid fight fish (or an adult fight big fish) you’ll see that it’s very natural and easy for them to anchor the butt of the rod on their chest or stomach somewhere and reel with the rod tip up. Tough to do that with a fly rod without a fighting butt. On a rod with no butt the reel is usually too far down to be able to do that comfortably. And they don’t have the arm strength to hold the rod single handed without an anchor and reel with the other hand. The rod new costs a little more than $100 but it won’t cost you nearly that over the long run. There’s enough demand for them that you can sell it in a couple of years for $70-80.

Both of daughter and son started with short 5wt rods to feel the rod load. Yes bamboo. Joe. E

I bought my daughter one of those Cabelas youth fly rod combos. They're super great. I'd fish w/ it, if it wasn't hot pink!

It wasn’t hot pink? What kind of dad are you?

Well Well, you all came through as usual. Im not able to jump for the Ghecko but I did find a low powered 6.5 footer for her that is limber fiber glass and I'll re-wrap it for her. I doesn't list the line weight but feels like it will load and shoot with a 4WF or, if I can find it, 3DT. I'll buy the correct guides and re wrap th'ole suckuh. I might swing for a new handle with a brief fighting butt.

Thanks for your input

For a 7 year old, I'd suggest a push button spinning outfit, bobber and worms.

I'm not being sarcastic at all. I think that is the best choice for someone that young.

If you are going to rewrap the guides. You can find specials (fiberglass) rod kits for less than 100 dollars then builder what you want her to have?

v/r

Joe E

Troutbert, this gal is ready for flies. She sits next to me when I tie them. and she has been using a spinning combo for over a year. I just wrapper a new combo for her dad for his 40th birthday (how did that happen). I bought a medalist 1495 and super cleaned it by completely dis assembling it and cleaning all the grease. Then I selectively added hot sauce and then wiped it down in T9. The reel is loaded with 4DT and the rod is 7.5' long. came out really nice.

I've been enjoying "Proof Flyfishing" as a supplier and have asked the folks there to look at our site and see the unique way we converse with each other. Fact is I believe I can do a nice job re-wrapping an older fiberglass unit for under $30. It will also provide her with a greater memory to her down the road.
Shakey, I really like what I read about the Eagle Claw 6.5' featherlight and may by myself one next year. I am afraid it may be heavy like the 5WT Eagle Claw I bought new this year. I rarely use it as it is so heavy. I love the old Wright McGill poles with the hollow glass.

Attachments

• IMG_3910.jpeg
    IMG_3910.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 3
Back in my day, it was never easy to convince dad, a stick and yarn, practice every day, drop the fly in a cup at 15 ft. But in the equal of this was, pitching the hardball, throwing the football!

Seems an o k pitcher, an o k quaterback but a supreme caster! Fly rod came. Back in my day, fly rods were not quite expensive. Sears, big N, Herters, Western auto, or the guy next door. Automatic reel, or usually a medalist reel and a level fly line by Cortland!

Great as i remember, Perfect as was my father, Fantastic were the trips fishing! Wish i had it all back!

Maxima12

youre grand daughter is gonna love it! would love to see a picture of the final product.

Lets see if it turns out well.
I can't wait to get started.

Lets see if it turns out well.
I can't wait to get started.

Shakey guess what? I won a 1950-60's 6.5 footer Wright McGill Featherlight for $29. I'm so psyched. Can't wait to see it. I have the Medalist 1492 from the 70's, perfectly cleaned, and ticking like a clock.

It'll be a great starter.

I'm grateful for the suggestions.

Back