What size/brand salt water rod?

jhedge

jhedge

I'm pretty new to fly fishing but wanted to see what kind of trouble I can get myself in on the next vacation :) I was wondering what a good size rod would be for some small to medium sized fish. I plan to just fish the flats and coral out front of the hotel in grand cayman this coming January. I saw these on sale... Any opinions?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Rods/Fly-Fishing-Rods%7C/pc/104793480/c/104764680/sc/105573780/Cabelas-TLr-Salt-Fly-Rod/1508703.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffly-fishing-rods%2F_%2FN-1104841%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105573780%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat104793480%253Bcat104764680&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104764680%3Bcat105573780

That would be a good choice for an entry level salt set-up and an 8WT matches the fishing you describe. It would also be big enough for bonefish which are found on the flats of Grand Cayman.

Ok thanks for the help! I also saw a Redington pursuit combo with reel and line for about $160. Is that comparable? Seems a bit cheaper but I don't mind spending a little more for a better set up.

Which hotel ?

I just came back from a year working in George Town...

No hotels have flats out front, the flats are at the west and east ends. Bones are super spooky. I know PJ who is the Orvis dealer there - you'll be lucky to catch a bone without his locally tyed flies - large flashy and bright work not subtle Charlie's and gotchas.

The best guide is a former NY doctor called Randy Parchment. He will get you into bones or tarpon and snook.

Most nights PJ and Randy can be found at Billy Bones bar at the Treasure Island Resort most nights. Buy them a drink and you'll get a lot of local info.

Treasure Island/ Sunset Cove is where the beach ends and the coral rocks start. Fishing from the rocks or wading out on the reef will get you into drum, snapper, palometa, permit, little tunny up to 5/6lbs. and barracuda up to 15lbs and tarpon up to 80lbs.

I totally recommend you snorkel from TI up to the artificial reef at the Marriott and if you're lucky you'll see squid, palometa, and hundreds of bonefish which in large numbers in deep water are uncatchable.

if you want to fish out front of the Marriott go real early 7am.

If the weather is rough the shallow reef next to TI will have big drum cruising on the reef at its edge waiting for helpless baitfish to be swept ON to the reef. youd think it would be the other way round but it's not...

Best of luck. Pm me if you need any other info.

Mark

PM sent thanks for all the info!

Back