What Should I wear?

jeffroey

jeffroey

Hope this isn't a silly question. I'm thinking about heading out to one of the SGLs tomorrow to do a little remote fishing. I really haven't done this type of fishing this late in the season before but with the weather the way it is, I'm looking to squeeze in another trip.

What should I wear? Not asking the question from a weather perspective - I'm asking it from a hunting season point of view?

Is it still okay to wear camo to try to sneak up on native brookies or should I switch to something more hi-viz?

What would you wear if you were fishing a SGL tomorrow?

If by tomorrow you mean Sunday i would not worry Otherwise wear an orange hat

Even non-hunter are required to meet the blaze orange requirements while on SGL's during hunting season.

You best do you research and dress accordingly.

FWIW - I wear a blaze orange cap, bandanna & vest during hunting seasons in SGL's and it has NEVER effected my ability to catch fish.

58 Pa. Code § 135.41()(21) states it is unlawful to

(21) Except on Sundays, be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a 360° arc. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted from this requirement.

There are three Sunday hunting days this year. I believe Sunday 11/15 is the first.

Thx for the feedback and the statutory ref (Jon). Cleard it up. Blaze orange it is.

I usually wear an orange cap when fishing on any public land during hunting season (especially turkeys in the spring). I wasn't aware of the full blaze orange rule for SGLs. Thanks for posting this. I doubt many non-hunting FFers are aware of this.

Dave_W wrote:
I usually wear an orange cap when fishing on any public land during hunting season (especially turkeys in the spring). I wasn't aware of the full blaze orange rule for SGLs.

Re-read the reg as it was posted here. It is 250 sq inches total *OR* a hat. Either needs to be visible from any direction. It is not a "full blaze orange" requirement. Also, keep in mind the Nov. 15th date.

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do, but during hunting seasons, I think non-hunters should tread lightly in regard to using SGL for non-hunting purposes. Right now is prime time for archery season. Don't muck it up for guys who only a few free days to take advantage of the height of the rut. The SGL waters will still be there the rest of the year.

I'm with Kev, I used to fish in SGL's during hunting season blaze orange a-plenty, but no more. Every time I hear a rifle shot I'd jump a mile and look around. That's not a fun way to fish unless you are a professional trespasser and are used to it. ;-)

Too many hunters and too many opportunities for tragedy like what happened recently at Lake Nockamixon.

There are plenty of other spots to fish...

I'll throw my (blaze orange) hat in with PennKev and Bamboozle. I stay away from hunting areas as much as possible. It's hard for me with Lackawanna SP a stone's throw from home and a dog that needs to gat out a lot. The park has a lot of area open to hunting. I have an orange cape for the pooch and a BRIGHT orange long sleeve tee and cap for me. Even so, I am not comfortable hiking the trails where others are trying to hunt. Fortunately, there are a handful of preserves adjacent to the park where hunting is not allowed. The problem is they are crowded with hikers and bikers. That's especially true on really nice days like today.

All of the above applies to fishing. Add to that the various states of spawning trout are in now, and the delicate eggs in redds for a while thereafter, and I just give it a rest for a few months. Smallmouth, on the other hand, are fair game. :)

Ok, I'm off to hike with my furry buddy.

A blaze orange hat in the fall is fashion that can save your life.
It is something that should always warn in the fall in any woodland in the state, game lands or not.

So I guess a blaze orange hat then?

Yes, wear a blaze orange hat in the fall. Unless you are on a State Game Land. Go full blaze. While it is “public land”, it is paid for via hunting license fees. Respect the hunters during the “big” open seasons; spring turkey, fall small game, deer, turkey, bear, etc. Please do not recreate on SGLs during open season.

Now as far as other state land open for hunting (I.e. State Forests), my opinion is that it is open for anyone to recreate! Just use common sense during hunting season, wear orange, and be mindful of everyone’s right to use the land within the law.

Common sense and decency should prevail.

Wear orange in fall. Maybe the Game Commission could start selling blaze ball caps as a fundraiser?

Back