what should I buy?

Kyle

Kyle

every December i get a year end bonus from work and spend part of it on fly fishing gear. i currently have

2- 3 weights
2- 4 weights
2- 5 weights
1- 6 weight
2-8 weights

i have been thinking about maybe a euro set up but really not sure yet to pull that trigger. i think i have my bases covered though for the fish i like to fish for, trout, bass, and carp. i would consider a 10' 4weight but i just dont know enough about euro nympthing yet. maybe ill add a 7 weight to my arsenal? i feel a 7 weight is to much for smallmouth but to little for carp. of course i could be wrong.

every December i get a year end bonus from work and spend part of it on fly fishing gear. i currently have

2- 3 weights
2- 4 weights
2- 5 weights
1- 6 weight
2-8 weights

i have been thinking about maybe a euro set up but really not sure yet to pull that trigger. i think i have my bases covered though for the fish i like to fish for, trout, bass, and carp. i would consider a 10' 4weight but i just dont know enough about euro nympthing yet. maybe ill add a 7 weight to my arsenal? i feel a 7 weight is to much for smallmouth but to little for carp. of course i could be wrong.
My 10 foot 4 weight is by far by best all around tool. Can't imagine not having one in my arsenal, I actually have two lol.

My 10 foot 4 weight is by far by best all around tool. Can't imagine not having one in my arsenal, I actually have two lol.
i have heard good things about a 10' 4 weight. i never fished with one. some days my 9 footers annoy me on smaller water. my only 9' rods are my 5 weights up to 8 weights.

Do you have your retirement covered? That’s always my first question before I buy a rod I don’t need. If so, it looks like you need a 10’ something or another of your choosing. Enjoy.

Do you have your retirement covered? That’s always my first question before I buy a rod I don’t need. If so, it looks like you need a 10’ something or another of your choosing. Enjoy.
yes i do. i am employee owned and im fully vested. i use only a portion of my bonus as a gift to myself and put the rest away.

10ft 3 wt. would be my choice! It would be a good euro rod should you go that way.

I have way more fly rods than anyone should (I really enjoy building them from blanks) but I use my 10' 3 wt euro setup more than all others combined.

yes i do. i am employee owned and im fully vested. i use only a portion of my bonus as a gift to myself and put the rest away.
Great news! Then let’s really blow it and get 10’ 2 wt.

Get 10-11' greys euro stick on STP for cheap and add another 6 wt to your bullpen. I've got the 6wt bug recently so my logic might be flawed 😁

I'd say get a euro rod. You'll catch lots of fish and @tomgamber will get to to derail every thread with his feelings on the word euro (JK). I have a 10'9" T&T contact II 3wt. Everyone online seems to love that rod, and I do too, even though I don't really love nymphing. But if I had to choose a desert island rod for central PA, the T&T would probably be it - it can actually cast a fly line and euro nymphing works for me (and everyone else lol). I'm also not convinced that quality matters as much for a euro rod as it would for a regular rod. Syndicate P2s are really cool too.

I'm in a similar financial position - bonus cash is about to burn a hole in my pocket - and I'm debating replacing my leaky *** Simms G3s (they're mostly aquaseal at this point) or getting a cool rod. Buying waders is not nearly as fun as buying a rod for me, but I'm prob gonna buy the waders, ho hum.

My OCD tells me you need a 7 weight......

2- 3 weights
2- 4 weights
2- 5 weights
1- 6 weight
2-8 weights

Being in NJ you need a saltwater setup either a 9 or 10 wt .

Depends what you want to do more. Euronymphing is a fun way to fish IMHO and a specialized rod really helps, but I wouldn't go heavier than a 3 wt in our area. I started with a 10' 4 wt Greys Streamflex and it was my favorite for years. Went to a 3 wt and 10 1/2' rod and both were improvements (lighter weight is great), but did like the Grey's. I have a Moonshine Epiphany 10 1/2' 3wt and like it. Cortland and Syndicate Euronymphing rods are good as well. STP prices are good right now. BTW, I took a guide trip on the West Branch Delaware this fall and used the guide's T&T Contact rod. Was a nice rod and I netted a bunch of fish including two 20" browns, but I'm not going to spend the money for one. Plus the ring guides and the tip tangled the leader frequently. I'd suggest getting a rod with snakes on the tip (many do this now). On the flip side, I bought a cheap $80 Chinese rod - broke first trip. Don't go too bargain basement.

I use a 7 wt for smallie fishing (and occasionally carp) in the Delaware and Raritan Rivers and for steelhead fishing. I think 7 wt is a sweet spot for those. I like 8 wt or even a 9 wt to throw heavy deer hair bugs in ponds and giant 5" - 7" streamers. I am more comfortable throwing heavy stuff with a heavy outfit.

I think you may like a 10' or 10 1/2' 3 wt rod more if you spend your time at local trout streams, but if you spend all summer wading the Delaware for smallies with an occasional Salmon R trip I would go 7 wt.

Back