What nymph is this?

jifigz

jifigz

This was just swimming by me today on a creek. Does anyone know what kind of nymph it is?

I ask because today I struggled on the water. It was a strange day. I just couldn't figure em out..

Looks like an immature Isonychia nymph to me
That's what I thought, but then I thought "no way" since it's March. I was on a stream today and there were just small numbers of bugs of various types. I only caught one small brown. But I saw 1 caddis in the air, midges, at least one type of mayfly (not a BWO), and then this thing goes swimming by me. There were a lot of shucks floating downstream, though

Looks like an immature Isonychia nymph to me
Dear afish,

The key word is swimming by, that makes my vote Iso too.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear jifigz,

I said Iso because some guy on a PA fly fishing FB page posted pictures of Iso nymphs he recently tied with Lively Legs, and they looked exactly like the nymph you are holding with the addition of the cool white racing stripe that they get as they age. The triple tails kind of sold me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I vote Isonychia !

Behavioral drift of an immature Iso nymph is my guess.

Bugs are present in their immature form months ahead of when they are to hatch.

Most pics you see of insects are more mature specimens close to hatch time, but the stream (under and among the rocks) are loaded with insects months away from hatching, especially in the spring.

Last edited:
+1 iso. the even body, wing pads and three tails did it for me.

Behavioral drift of an immature Iso nymph is my guess.

Bugs are present in their immature form months ahead of when they are to hatch.

Most pics you see of insects are more mature specimens close to hatch time, but the stream (under and among the rocks) are loaded with insects months away from hatching, especially in the spring.
I am aware that they are present for months or even years before they hatch. The aquatic phase is a long time compared to their ephemeral flying stages. I did not think that they would willingly be swimming around, begging to be eaten in March, though. Shouldn't that iso nymph be tucked away safely under a rock?

I guess I never realized the swimming nymphs just swam around for the hell of it unless they were about to hatch. Seems like a bad idea or survival.

I am aware that they are present for months or even years before they hatch. The aquatic phase is a long time compared to their ephemeral flying stages. I did not think that they would willingly be swimming around, begging to be eaten in March, though. Shouldn't that iso nymph be tucked away safely under a rock?

I guess I never realized the swimming nymphs just swam around for the hell of it unless they were about to hatch. Seems like a bad idea or survival.
Read this > https://seekingtrout.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/behavioral-drift-of-aquatic-insects/

not an expert, but I think that once they get dislodged they will swim. I don't think the behavior is unique to hatch time.

I guess I never realized the swimming nymphs just swam around for the hell of it unless they were about to hatch.
Many of the swimming nymph actually stop swimming when they're about to hatch, and just get pushed to the surface.

You said there were a lot of shucks floating on the water.? Besides BWO, little stones, a few small Caddis and midges....blue quills are the most likely culprit to be coming off. Probably a little bit yet (1-2 weeks ?) before we see Gordons and Grannoms of any significance, esp since the temperatures dropped back a little. I could def be wrong. The abdominal gills of the nymph in your pic look too pronounced for a quill to me....Could be a rogue ISO out for a swim, and the shucks could be Blue Quills?

Back