What Kind of Snake

greenghost

greenghost

So a friend sends me this picture of a snake that attached itself to a trout he had on a stringer. It refused to let go until "coaxed."

He asked me what kind it was. After a quick google search, I've come up with Eastern Milk Snake, below? I also told him I'd post it on the most informative site on the Internet regarding snakes, Bigfoot, PA cougars and "wild or stocked?" inquiries. (PAFF)

Attachments

• Snake Chomping on Trout.JPG
    Snake Chomping on Trout.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Eastern Milk Snake.jpg
    Eastern Milk Snake.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 4
Probably a water snake.

It IS as water snake for a number of reasons, but given the photo of the milk snake that was also provided this allows me to point out one of the key characteristics of the milk snake, which will hopefully prevent them from being killed by individuals who think they are copperheads. Note the hour-glass pattern on the top of the milk snake's head...clearly shown in the pic. That is not a character of the copperhead or water snake.

I'm guessing the first picture is a northern water snake that had recently shed its skin. They can be quite colorful.

Looks like a northern water snake to me. They are prolific in my area and can be mean. I let them be except when they are in my goldfish pond by my front door.

Thanks guys. Northern Water Snake it is.

Yep I am going with norther water snake.

One thing that really stands out with copperheads is they have pretty much a Hershey kiss type pattern to them.

Read this: http://fishandboat.com/copprhe.htm

And here's a pic:

Attachments

• 1280px-Northern_watersnake_j.jpg
    1280px-Northern_watersnake_j.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 2
It is without a doubt, "Skippy."

87.jpg

Ah yes. I remember discussions about skippy. Wasn't it decided that he was a rattler?

Another good way to distinguish water snakes from copper heads and rattlers is copper heads and rattlers ride high on the water when swimming around. With water snakes, usually only the head is sticking out. Well, at least that is what I have been told.;-)

FD,

Well, water snakes can swim totally underwater, and quite often do. They also can swim with just the nose sticking out, or ride fairly high on top of it.

Other snakes can do all of the above too!

That said, while all snakes can do all of the above, there is a difference in how often they do each.

Pit vipers generally swim with lungs full of air, and tend to ride high on the water. They generally only swim to cross the water.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rattlesnake+swimming&biw=1675&bih=888&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Op5sVav3OMbYgwSfp4DoCg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Water snakes live there, and are like, doing stuff underwater. Many times they are totally submerged, and more often than not, at least partially submerged. See the OP. That said, they'll swim on top of the water on occasion like the pit vipers do, generally if they've spotted you and want to keep an eye on you.

Of course they can swim under water you silly wabbit. I was only referring to when you see a snake swimming on the surface.

And I have never seen a water snake swimming high on top of the water (the entire body) like old skippy in the picture. With water snakes, always with most of the body submerged, sometimes only slightly submerged, but submerged none the less. And I have seen a whole lot of water snakes over the years. Even when a water snake is watching you or trying to intimidate, he may raise his head out of the water quite a bit, but the back part of the snake will be under water.

Oh, Im sure there are exceptions, but as a general rule, I think you will agree what I said is fairly accurate.

How about I put it this way. If you see a snake swimming like old skippy or that vast majority of the ones in your google link, chances are it isn't a water snake and vice versa.

I hope he didn't kill it!

Lot's of snakes are mistaken for the dangerous ones. Like the PA brown snake vs a water moccasin. I see people killing them all the time and it pisses me off.

When I was in Mo I came across 2 ring neck snakes in my parents garden. I didn't fool with them and they did'nt bother me.

So where ever you travel, I recommend you review a list of what snakes are in the area that your heading - it could save a lot of confusion, a not needed to be dead snake, or a human suffering.

And always remember "If you need liquid encouragement before you handle a snake - you will not become a snake charmer".

If I understand you, you are saying as long as you know the snake is dangerous, it is alright to kill it. I can't support this. Leave them all alone, unless you like to cuddle them, in which case, make sure you know what species it is.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
I hope he didn't kill it!

No he didn't kill it. He said he had to lift it off the ground before it let go.

Jack, That was not at all what I was saying? I take it you are just trolling.

I didn't suspect you were saying that, and I doubt Jack did either. But to be fair, it could be read that way.

you said that reviewing snakes found in the area could result in a "not needed to be dead snake"

(could be taken to imply that some snakes DO need to be dead)

Sadly over the years people driving past the house have run over probably a dozen snakes, all quite harmless. These included a fairly large Milk Snake. We've seen others in the yard. There is also an apparent den of grader snakes under the porch steps. They come out every spring and return to under the steps every fall. Sometimes come out on warm winter days.

Wait until you guys retire to Florida-snakes every where.Since I lived in the north most of my life I was used to snakes who were ground huggers or water types ,down here they will be all through the bushes ,inside the loose bark [?] on palm trees. Everywhere.
Now we are being taken over by boas,pythons and other big ones.

Back