What kind of rod to buy

E

Ed007

I want to get a new rod and reel. I have a St. Croix imperial 9' 6wt with a lamson guru reel. The rod does well, but it is too stiff for me and it paired with the reel does not let the drag work well even on medium sized trout. Looking for a quality rod around the 200$ to 250$ range. Not sure what weight I need, it will be almost exclusively for trout. Looking for a good flex with the capability of handling large trout also. I mainly fish nymphs with an indicator but occasionally use a dry or a streamer. It will be used on smaller streams so I was thinking of a 8'6 length. Any suggestions on a rod and reel to match would be greatly appreciated.

10 foot 4 weight, you won't regret it and yes it will work fine on smaller streams.

ryansheehan wrote:
10 foot 4 weight, you won't regret it and yes it will work fine on smaller streams.

100% agree 10' 3 or 4wt. Either a nymphing specific rod like a cabelas czn that has gotten good reviews or maybe some of the cortland comp rods. I personally picked up a fenwick aetos for $116 in a 10' 4wt and use it for nymphing but so far it has done everything I have asked of it. Try a few but a 10' 3-4wt feels right. You will not regret having a 10' rod while nymphing. I know I haven't. I have an 8' 6" that just collects dust now. I fish big water and small tight water and the long rod does fine every where.

Thanks for the advice. My only concern is that length rod with over hanging trees on the stream. I like to fish Meadow run in Ohiopyle and I struggle with a 9'. I think a 10' would help greatly while nymphing though. Any suggestions on a brand?

An 8 1/2 ft 5 wt rod is very versatile.

That will work well on Meadow Run and similar streams.

And you can fish your 9 ft 6 wt on the Yough.

Reddington Classic Trout (CT) 4 WT. cost somewhere around 150 but they are frequently on sale for under a hundred. Very nice rod for little money. It's what I use for trout and pannies and I feel no need to upgrade.

Ed007 wrote:
It will be used on smaller streams so I was thinking of a 8'6 length. Any suggestions on a rod and reel to match would be greatly appreciated.

What do you consider a small stream?

IMO you don't really gain or lose much by going to a 8' 6" when comparing it to a 9' rod. If you don't want to go down to a 7-8' rod for small streams, just stick with the 9' rod or go with a 10' as suggested. You gain more by going from a 9' to a 10' when fishing larger streams than you do from a 9' to an 8'6" on small streams.

I consider small streams about 30' across. After the suggestions I am leaning more towards a 10' 4 wt. What kind of action should I be looking for. I consider my skills to be novice to moderate. I dont want the rod ro be very stiff. Thanks agin for everyone's help

Ed007 wrote:
I consider small streams about 30' across. After the suggestions I am leaning more towards a 10' 4 wt. What kind of action should I be looking for. I consider my skills to be novice to moderate. I dont want the rod ro be very stiff. Thanks agin for everyone's help

Yeah 30' isn't really that small.

I wouldn't worry about action. Seriously. IMO it's mostly something to talk about for people who don't actually get to go out and fish much. With that said, I find a quicker rods to be more pleasant to fish in longer lengths. I would actually worry more about weight. As rods get longer, physical weight becomes a bigger deal. If two rods were about the same price, I would go for the lighter rod.

K, You have been very helpful. I'll start shopping around for a 10' 4 weight. Probably will look for a moderate to moderate fast action. Thanks for all the insight.

Tight lines!

PennKev wrote:
Ed007 wrote:

Yeah 30' isn't really that small.

I wouldn't worry about action. Seriously. IMO it's mostly something to talk about for people who don't actually get to go out and fish much. With that said, I find a quicker rods to be more pleasant to fish in longer lengths. I would actually worry more about weight. As rods get longer, physical weight becomes a bigger deal. If two rods were about the same price, I would go for the lighter rod.

Agreed, I use my 10 footer on streams smaller than 30 feet, no problem. Can't really help you on brand, I have the orvis helios and a recon in 10 foot 4 weight but those are a little over your price range. Wouldn't hurt to put up a wtb on the swap forum.

Check out cabelas CZN Prestige plus Combo. For 219.00 you get everything, Rod, Line, Reel, Backing, and leader. It it is a great value considering they have the rod alone listed for 199.00. They have a good selection of rod lengths and weights. Only problem is you may have to wait until they restock some sizes, no big deal.

I'll second Redington's Classic Trout. I've had one of those for years and it's one of my go-to sticks. I'd also recommend anything from TFO. I have two of their rods and really like them. I'd suggest checking out the BVK model.

I'll third the Redington Classic Trout. I love my 8'6" 4 weight. It fishes streamers, dries, and high stick nymphing well. Sometimes I wish I had a longer rod but oh well, that rod is still my favorite all purpose trout rod.

TCO is having a sale on the Loomis Pro-4x

It looks like a good deal man.....i would check it out.

https://www.tcoflyfishing.com/collections/sale-items/products/loomis-pro-4x-freshwater-rod-9-5wt-4pc

I went through my short rod stage. Back to long rods, even on small streams. So much easier - for me. My question is: Heading to Bighorn River, Is my 9' 5wt adequate, or should I do 6wt, 4wt???

Cabela's has their RLS combo's on sale on sale for $149.99. I'm tough on equipment so I never "invest" in anything over $200.00

Actually I found a chinese brand called max catch fishing for super cheep and bought a back up rod from them and have to say for $60 it's impressive

Back