What is the overall value of stocking steelhead?

K

kbobb

Article in the paper today about stocking steelhead. Lots of fish (and dollars and time) go into stocking them but what percentage return to the streams ultimately and what percentage are lost/wasted.

I have not fished for steelhead for a few years because of limited time off work and usually bad conditions when i did get a day off, but I wonder if the money being put into steelhead is worth it, particularly if access is becoming an issue. Is it a big expense that benefits a relatively low percentage of anglers?

What are your thoughts?

The benefits are to the local economy, the anglers visiting are only a means.

PFBC has it paid for by the Erie stamp, which covers the bay and waters accessed from PA, I think.

In other words, I would like to see a Laurel Highlands/Juniata stamp. Without it, it shall be illegal to fish in any un-stocked waters west of the Juniata drainage.

The access problems of the past are improving with stamp monies. The economic value is in the +$10 million range and the local businesses will not let that impact stop.
The returns are lower due to the spreading out of stockings to reduce the impacts on landowners. Look to where the smolts are stocked vs the past.

I don't remember where I read this but it may have been on www.fisherie.con . PA stocks about a million smolts every spring and the return rate is about 150,000 2-3 year old steelhead. I guess it is profitable venture for PFBC as they have been doing this for at least 25-30 years. (correct me if I'm overstating the duration)

Weekends can be a veritable nightmare of crowding but weekdays are much less pressure and it can be a lot of fun. I've been doing it since 2005. Lots of guys come up and fill the local motels and hotels for stays of 2 - 7 days. Guys are eating out and buying tackle so the local economy is getting a positive impact from the stocking and the fishery.

Jack,
How could you justify a special stamp to fish in-stocked waters? The Erie stamp is used to offset costs. What are the costs, other than enforcement, of in-stocked waters?

Overall value is the revenue it brings Erie County from October to March. I'm sure it helps offset the loss of revenue when boating and beach season is over. It might even be a larger source of revenue. I'm not sure of the numbers.

It's funded by the stamp you have the choice to buy, so no extra associated costs there.

You could argue it demands extra man hours to patrol, but how many extra officers do you see up there? Very few. There wouldn't be half the problems that exist if they had the necessary boots on the ground.

We aren't talking about a large annual outlay of personal funds. Fifteen dollars is not very much money in todays economy. In my instance it is money well spent. Without a steelhead program my fishing would pretty much be over by the end of October.

With the steelhead in the PA, OH, and NY waters I fish all the way through November and usually into the first week of December. Then often by the beginning of March I am going back up until the middle of April.

I buy a season non resident OH license for $40 and a Seneca Indian reservation permit for $15. I already have a NY license for fishing the Catskills.

From a personal standpoint, there would be little impact to me. I do hit the Erie tribs once or thrice a year, but it is to meet up with friends.

Definitely worth it to the local economy, but without seeing the books, how can we tell if it is financially worth it for the PF&BC?

I think the only people who have a valid argument against would be those who fish in lake Erie for other things. They have to buy a lake Erie stamp and I don't think any of the proceeds go to help the perch or walleye fishing.

I think Steelhead anglers have to buy the trout stamp as well.

I dunno best day to hit Erie is on the first day of buck. My buddy and I tagged our bucks in archery so we went up there. Half as many guys.

I think I would have to agree with the others on the fact that it would help the economy up there. Just thinking about it I be the muskies are stacked up think in the mouths of the streams about now waiting for the smolts. Might be something to think about LOL sorry guys I got musky on my mind and cant get them off. LOL

Do you need a trout stamp as well as a Lake Erie steelhead permit to fish the PA creeks? My senior lifetime license has a little picture on the lower right hand corner saying Lake Erie Combo Permit. Or would a trout stamp be all one would need to fish the PA Erie streams?

The "combo" is Lake Erie and Trout permits.

I'll be honest, I have no interest in driving 7 to 8 hours for a weekend fishing over stocked fish. But it's good for the local economy, when in season, so that's a good thing. I'd like to see more effort by PFBC to restore fisheries in the Erie region no matter what they are.

I'll be honest, I have no interest in driving 7 to 8 hours for a weekend fishing over stocked fish

While I prefer to cast only to wild rising trout I will gladly drive 325 miles, during the week, after a rain event, to hook 8-10 4# - 7# steelhead. During the week is a much different experience than fishing on a weekend. Additionally some of the streams I fish in Ohio I often see no other angler within eyesight.

Attachments

• Elk Steelhead.jpg
    Elk Steelhead.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2
wbranch wrote:
Additionally some of the streams I fish in Ohio I often see no other angler within eyesight.

Thanks for the spot burn. ;-)

But yea, I have seen the same. Although I haven't actually fished for them in Ohio for several years now, I do the occasional scouting trip. Not uncommon to see a pod of steelhead near a road access and nobody around.

Back