What is green tippet for?

H

HoboWithAFlyRod

Long story short I bought some 6x tippet and didn’t know it was tinted green. I’ve been planning to try my hand at some limestoners that are known for gin clear water and I bought tippet for it based on the name “absolute stealth” because it sounds like what you’d want, but it turns out it’s tinted green. Is it supposed to be stealthy in streams with some tint to the water or is it ok to use in a clear stream? Thanks for helping a beginner. Pic unrelated it’s just a brown trout I’m proud of.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Well, Scientific Anglers are saying that it reduces line flash - aka - glare. It could be just marketing fluff and total BS. Maybe they are right. I would use it anywhere and everywhere. If you are't catching fish in a given stream, I would think that there are many more things to change and/or blame than your 6x tippet. Most of those things are probably actually things that the angler can change about their approach.

I think your tippet is fine.

Screenshot 2024 05 16 at 14657PM

Well, Scientific Anglers are saying that it reduces line flash - aka - glare. It could be just marketing fluff and total BS. Maybe they are right. I would use it anywhere and everywhere. If you are't catching fish in a given stream, I would think that there are many more things to change and/or blame than your 6x tippet. Most of those things are probably actually things that the angler can change about their approach.

I think your tippet is fine.

View attachment 1641236069
Thanks I’ll use it until I run out and then pay more attention when I need to buy more. It just seems weird that adding color to something clear could make it less visible but I’ll try it. I’m not going to feel bad if I get skunked by the Letort, I just want to feel like I at least have a shot to get lucky.

Long story short I bought some 6x tippet and didn’t know it was tinted green. I’ve been planning to try my hand at some limestoners that are known for gin clear water and I bought tippet for it based on the name “absolute stealth” because it sounds like what you’d want, but it turns out it’s tinted green. Is it supposed to be stealthy in streams with some tint to the water or is it ok to use in a clear stream?...

The short answer is POSITIVELY...

FWIW - 2000 years ago when I started fly fishing, the monofilament leader material material of choice was sold by Orvis and made by Pezon et Michel. This was before Japanese monofilament leader material like the first generation Orvis Super Strong hit the market.

A bunch of sizes of that leader material was green and I used it for years at places like the Letort, Big Springs, Falling Springs and limestoners closer to home and never worried about it because:

...If you aren't catching fish in a given stream, I would think that there are many more things to change and/or blame than your 6x tippet...

FWIW - At the same streams I mentioned, I also don't worry about leader flash, rod flash, line spray, leader spray, the color of my fly line or reel, the color of my clothes or hat, whether my nippers twinkle in the sunlight or the weight fly line I use (which is usually a 5wt or 6wt).

However I can become unglued if my flask or cigar lighter is empty... ;)

Go out, have fun and don't worry about the small stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks I’ll use it until I run out and then pay more attention when I need to buy more. It just seems weird that adding color to something clear could make it less visible but I’ll try it. I’m not going to feel bad if I get skunked by the Letort, I just want to feel like I at least have a shot to get lucky.
If you get skunked by the Letort, definitely don't blame your tippet.

Long story short I bought some 6x tippet and didn’t know it was tinted green. I’ve been planning to try my hand at some limestoners that are known for gin clear water and I bought tippet for it based on the name “absolute stealth” because it sounds like what you’d want, but it turns out it’s tinted green. Is it supposed to be stealthy in streams with some tint to the water or is it ok to use in a clear stream? Thanks for helping a beginner. Pic unrelated it’s just a brown trout I’m proud of.
Hobo,
I've used Maxima tippet material of green or brown and other brands that are clear (not sure if it is Maxima). Color is NOT as important as presentation, direct sun vs. cloudy conditions, and stiffness/limpness of the tippet. If you can lay out the fly with s-curves in the tippet (without lining any fish), fish away with whatever you have in your pack, or whatever you can bum off your fishing companions.
As Bamboozle and jifigz suggests, don't overthink it, have fun, and just having a trout rise to and refuse a fly on water like the Letort can be considered a success.
If you ever find yourself in the special regs sections of Manada, Clarks, or other creeks in the Hershey area, and you happen to see an old guy stumbling around with strictly dry flies, it might be me and I'll try to help you out. If it's a younger guy that doesn't care if he's using dry flies, bobber rigs, or streamers, that's one of my sons and he can help you out.
(I live in MD so I'm only fishing up there about 5-10 times/year. My son works in Hershey so he's on the water a lot more than I am.)
Regards.

Back