What is a good line for a less experienced caster

B

billm67

I have two really cheap 5 wt rods...and have used cheap bass pro 5 wt line on them. I have not really been all that thrilled with the way and of it casts. I bought a new 5wt 9 foot Cabela's TLR fly rod yesterday as it is a little bit faster rod. I wanted something that loaded up quicker and didn't take such long deliberate strokes to cast. Years ago I had a sage 5wt and I enjoyed it's feel. But now that I have a little bit better rod I would like to spool it up with a little bit better line. I have considered Cortland 444 and SA Headstart lines......but there are so many out there and fly lines have become so specialized. I know as a relative beginner (again) I don't need the most expensive line...but I would also like to use something that I know is going to work well. I am in Harrisburg and most likely will pick somthing up at Bass Pro....so if it's something they have in stock...that would be even better. I am using a BassPro White River CV2 WF5F right now.

Sci Angler and Orvis have beginner lines. I've used both and like both. The Orvis Clearwater line is on sale for $14 on their website.

I am also in a similar location and situation. I'm looking to replace my reel/line/etc. in this 2nd year of fly fishing.

I figured I'd just head over to bass pro and buy whatever is either the 2nd cheapest, or on sale. I don't know yet if I need to replace my 9' rod; I think it works well enough for now to keep.

Sounds like the Clearwater line is the best (only) suggestion thusfar. Thanks Cathy

I don't think beginners have all that different line requirements than "experts". They're probably not getting into the specialty lines as much, sink tips and the like. But for a standard floating line, the considerations are much the same. Slick coating to go through the guides, floats high, and longevity.

I suppose you could say that beginners are a little better off with lines that fall on the heavier side of their rating, with an aggressive front taper. The theory being that beginners are concerned about casting at close distances, but not yet concerned about how it acts at long range. Loading the rod a little more at close range allows the caster to "feel" the rod load more, and thus improves their timing.

I was looking at the SA Headstart line...it's supposed to be a 1/2 size heavier than regular line weight. I currently have BassPro CV2 wf5 on my 5 weight. Te gentlemen at Basspro said that the line is an SA line. I bought a bottle of Glide line dressing and treated it as per the directions and the line seems to go up through the guides a bit easier.

I started this tread because I was reading other threads that said you need to buy the best line you can afford even if you have to buy a cheaper reel...and wanted to make sure I wasn't handicapping my efforts with the BassPro line.

I don't put much weight in my lines. Yes a better line can help, but as a beginner you need to learn to cast correctly first. If you're having problems casting, then most likely its your cast, not your line that's the problem. Youtube some videos on casting first and then upgrade your line if you then feel it's necessary.

Edit:

It's also possible it's your rod, or you need to over/under line your rod. Meaning if it's a 5wt rod, maybe a 6wt line would help. Overall work on your casting. Slow it down, speed it up. Watch your delivery, maybe even record your self and see if you notice any flaws. I can hand a $2000 setup to a beginner and they couldn't cast it 30ft accurately, and could hand a $30 set up to an expert and have them cast the whole line.

IMO floating line is floating line. Until you start getting into different tapers and sink tips whathaveya. I replace my fly line every year, cause I usually buy the cheaper line. Seems to work fine for me. Fly fishing is mostly personal preference. What works for one guy might not work for you.

An added benefit of "beginner" line is the heavier head is better for casting nymph rigs and poppers.
I mostly fish nymphs for trout and bluegill fishing is probably my favorite so a little heavier head works for me.

That said my favorite rod has GPX on it. I also like Orvis Easy Mend.

Back