What do you wear under your waders?

mute

mute

Wondering what every wears under their waders in the summer? Ive always either wore just mesh shorts. However wondering if theres better lightweight leggings or something specificcally made for breathability both for the waders and the body in this situation.

Last thing you want is soaking wet sweaty legs for yourself, or the inside of your waders. Wondering what everyone knows about and can comment about the matter. Whether its $100 SIMMs branded attire or a $5 walmart equivalent.

mute wrote:
Wondering what every wears under their waders in the summer? Ive always either wore just mesh shorts. However wondering if theres better lightweight leggings or something specificcally made for breathability both for the waders and the body in this situation.

Last thing you want is soaking wet sweaty legs for yourself, or the inside of your waders. Wondering what everyone knows about and can comment about the matter. Whether its $100 SIMMs branded attire or a $5 walmart equivalent.

In the summer you can wear shorts under your waders but I don't like the waders rubbing against my bare skin. I wear my quick-dry wet wading pants under my waders in the summer. Works well for me.
HTH.

quick dry hiking pants, very lightweight sweatpants or merino wool base layers make great bottoms for use under waders. I have also worn shorts with long, knee high socks.

I think wearing jeans is counter productive from a moisture management and wader longevity perspective.

Quick dry fishing pants.

They are perfect. They are light, so you don't overheat. They protect your skin from abrasion. And they dry out very quickly.

Often I'll be walking around before or after fishing, and long pants are much better protection than shorts against: ticks, nettles, poison ivy, mosquitoes, and black flies.

Ticks are the worst. And there are a lot around this year.

Quick dry pants and thin socks.

Much like you, some type of mesh/athletic short. I've found them to be the most comfortable and even in the winter months, wear them over a base layer.

Under Armour heat gear leggings and their light boot socks. Love those things under waders in the summer. Those dry pants can ride up on you or slide up your legs when putting the waders on. The Under Armour Heat Gear leggings stay in place and keep ya fairly cool without having the waders against your legs. Whats nice is a size XL to a 3XL all basically fit me the same so I get whatever kind I find on sale or dirt cheap. TJ Maxx often has them or Ebay.

Lightweight, quick dry hikers.

I spent four days in the western Poconos anticipating water temperatures finally reaching 70 degrees F and Cicadas.

The water temperatures rose to that level which is the self-imposed limit when I leave all trout alone, even if they are stocked. The Cicadas never happened.

I wet-waded.

Orvis Pro BOA waders with NRS neoprene socks, L.L. Bean nylon pants, and nylon underwear. My fishing shirt was a Columbia nylon shirt. I was fine and didn't have any ticks on my body.

Under Armour heat gear for me.

My waders likely won't be used again til late Sept or Oct. Once temps are into the 70's it's wet wading season for me.

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/the-fly-shops-base-layer-stirrup-pant/

I wear whatever is cheap and handy that will get the job one. Lately, Wal-Mart has been my fishing pants supplier. They have Wrangler 95% nylon cargo pants for around $20. I also buy Wally's slacks/khakis branded as "George" for $12 and they are OK too, although a little damper than the Wranglers after a day in my waist highs. But at $12 a pair, I can bear up under the minor inconvenience.. I buy all my fishing pants 3 waist sizes too big so I can tuck heavier stuff into them in colder weather.

I do not wet wade in anything other than full length pants unless I am already on antibiotics for something else anyway...

Addidas clima proof running pants. Not all because of.the weather resistant property but moreso because they are comfy under there, dont bunch up, no belt needed, decent sized pockets.

I hate wearing jeans or pants or anything requiring a belt under waders

Since I only fish the warmer months, I wear 100% nylon swim trunks under my waders. Almost no friction/rubbing against any of the seams, which I believe gives the boots a longer life.

I have found that light weight, breathable, hiking / running pants are perfect for wearing under my waders during the warm summer days. The Gopune casual running / hiking pants are comfortable, quick drying, stretch when climbing or kneeling, and look good too. Best of all, the pants cost less than 25 bucks. Another thing that I like about these pants is the fact that they have no zippers, buttons, or buckles to wear holes in your expensive waders. Check them out here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DGT9766/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

A sock

Back